3rd August - Hollywood


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

LA SubwayLA SubwayLA Subway

nice subway station
After a fitful sleep (body clock out of whack), we headed out around 9am, grabbed a starbucks coffee and hit the subway for our trip to Universal Studios. I was very impressed with the subway, ontime and clean - both station and the trains had no graffiti or rubbish. They apparently fine people $250 for eating and drinking on the station and the train. That's one way to keep rubbish away.

We thought we got to Universal Studios quite early but there were already heaps of people there. $72 entry is quite reasonable though the guy at the counter tried to upsell the $149 vip pass which would allow us to jump the queues. Politely declined and entered the park. It's a bigger and more professional version of Movie World on the Gold Coast.

First thing first, we queued up for Studio Tour, was a quick 10 wait. The tour was worth the admission price as it is a definite must do when visiting here. Guide was funny and informative. The 40 minute tour was certainly worthwhile and when we got off the tour, the queue had grown to long it would take 90 minutes! So I was quite chuffed we managed to get it done and out of the way. Went on a few rides including Jurassic Park which cooled us down by drenching us with water!

After seeing enough of Universal Studios, went walking around Universal CityWalk which is a great entertainment district. Made Fox Studios Entertainment Quarter look real amateurish and embarrassing.

Hopped back on the subway but since we had a little time to kill, decided to go downtown LA and check out Staples Centre and LA Live - another cool entertainment district. Saw a Macy's express outside 7th St Metro Centre which I can only assume is a mini version of Macy's. Went back to the hotel after that got ready for Jimmy Kimmel Live which I was lucky enough to have scored free tickets over the internet. No pictures to show as it is against regulations but I'm sure we could be spotted in the live audience. It was a good show, completely funny and the guests were cool. To top it off, we were lucky enough to have Flo Rida perform!

After the buzz of Jimmy Kimmel Live, Lou and I went and hit the drinks and we were quickly tipsy due to lack of sleep and empty stomachs. Decided to venture to Mel's Diner which is an institution. We couldn't finish our meals as they were big servings. I also ordered an authentic American milkshake which was great but also was too big to finish. Satisfied we staggered back to the hotel and crashed out for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Staples CenterStaples Center
Staples Center

pity NBA was on off-season


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb