The Filmmaking extravaganza!


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hey look at me holding $150,000 !Hey look at me holding $150,000 !Hey look at me holding $150,000 !

I sort of got caught mid grin so I look a little smug but I assure you it was a humbling experience and also a really fucking cool one, if you'll pardon the somewhat necessary expletive.
Ahoy-hoy,
Just wanted to toss up a quick post on my 35mm shoot. It was 6 different kinds of awesome as you can see by the ridiculous grin on my face. That was one bad mother of a camera. Hell of a thing to set up though, we each got a role of about 220ft which equals somewhere around 2 minutes each and we had 12 hours to do 4 rolls. It took us 13 hrs and we just barely wrapped when they finally kicked us off the sound stage.
I was also helping out on a HD short film on Saturday. The director was a bit of a doofus but the DP was one of my instructors so he let me assist on camera. They shot on the sony F900, the same camera Lucas used on Star Wars Eps. 1.
If you look really closely at one of those pictures you can see me sitting next to the bed pulling focus (white hat, orange shirt). Those actors had to stay in bed for 11 hours, the rest of us had to lug around heavy lights and move set pieces all day, by the end of it I was a little
The 20 minute setThe 20 minute setThe 20 minute set

This was the set that I threw together in 20 minutes. We had a few different set pieces to choose from, basically 4 walls and some windows. I also found a fan and some ladders....insert story here....
dilirious from exhaustion as I'd been helping my roommate shoot another project the night before that streched into the wee hours of the morning.
12 hours of sleep later and I was back in top form. Actually I've just returned from the creative seminar that Robert Zemeckis gave. He was a pretty cool guy although I found him somewhat inarticulate in his answers to people's questions. They showed clips from some of his movies and they chose the clip that I recommended for "Forest Gump", possibly a coincidence but for now I'll chalk it up to sheer brilliance on my part. And for the coming week. A final 16mm shoot, a pitch to a studio exec, and possibly another gig maning the camera on a short that will be shot on the backlot of universal studios.

and now back to work, hello to the fam and the friends, and as always, keep it real on the flip side, power to the people, and keep yer ears to the grindstone....cheers

- Evan


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Hey pull my focusHey pull my focus
Hey pull my focus

we rotated all the roles for everyones shoot, here you can see me working as focus puller for one of my group members, also known as focus fairy or more tastefully; the focus bitch.
My first big break in the porn business!My first big break in the porn business!
My first big break in the porn business!

No I'm kidding this is a shot of the set for the HD short that I worked on, if you stare really close and use your imagination you can see me sitting on the floor (in the orange shirt/white ball cap), I was pulling focus for the DP.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb