Home of the Stars!


Advertisement
Published: April 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our departure from Tonga was welcomed!!!! Mainly as it would offer instant respite from the mozzies and bring better weather!!! The 12 hours on a plane was a slightly different story - although we did manage to get exit aisle seats which was a little more roomy - although not a great deal more comforatable!!!! I resigned myself to the fact that sleep was not an option and watched both movies........with mini snoozes in between. We arrived in LA at 2pm of Tuesday....having left Tonga at 7pm on Tuesday - i tell ya the date line crossing is weird - officially the longest Tuesday of my life!

Upon landing it was all systems go as Jen was to leave within two days.....and we had some sights to see. So, although the beds looked undeniably comfortable...it was time to hit the streets! Hollywood Bouleverd was the first stop, for the walk of the stars, the chinese theatres and (the BIG must see) the Hollywood Sign......its not as great as it is made out to be! But photos taken, we were sorted, one down, with Shopping and Universal Studios to go! That excursion did take us all day though....well as much of Tuesday as was left....but all in all it had a good innings!!!

Next day was Universal Studios time. Fantastically exciting although a little bit cheesy it has to be said! The park offered a series of themed rides from Shrek and Terminator 3 to Back to the Future and The Mummy Returns......all fairly good fun and a huge relief to discover that Jen and I hadn't aged too much - meaning we managed the rollercoasters without being overcome by nausea! (Not quite the same story for the Simulator though - bleurgh!!) The best bit was the tram ride around the props and scenes area - where we saw demos of how your basic movie viewer is majorly conned into beliveing it was filmed in Europe.......whereas it is in fact a set in Hollywood! Pah!!! Also went on a few tours that gave an insight into the special effects demos - that was quite amazing - from fire to flying to animatronics. That took a whole day and after a meal in the Farmers Market - which is quite famous in LA - we were fairly exhausted. Bed most definitely beckoned, to prepare us for a seriously rapid shopping spree before Jen took off!

I won't go into the details of the shopping, but it was (thankfully) quite brief and Jen was packed into a shuttle bus with bargains in hand and off to the airport in no time!

Then it was just me, myself and I - to take on California - eeek!!

Absolute priority was to buy a camera...as I was now cameraless - not the way for a true sightsee- er to be. This was fairly dodgy territory for me - I had no clue where to go - but fortunately I got chatting to an Ozzie who had lived in LA before who took me into a rather ace store - where I got myself a Canon - my new little gadget - and man is it superb.....for anyone thinking about getting a camera - Canon Powershot Elf - they rock! Camera in hand I could sight see away. The ozzie whose name I forget (ooops!) suggested Santa Monica and Venice beach. Fairly ignorant of the area that sounded pretty good to me and off we went. To be met by one of the most famous beach fronts...the one where all the bikini clad roller skaters are filmed..although it is also famous for its artists and funky shops...and the local pier. Unfortunately the camera battery wasn't charged up so despite having my new toy...I couldn't actually use it! Pah!

The next day it truly seemed that jen had taken the weather with her.....I woke up to torrential downpours....something that LA needed alot apparently - hello - not on my time thanks!! Fortunately by lunch it had eased off and I ventured out of the hostel to investigate the shops on Melrose Avenue...apparently also quite famous - news to me though. There were some seriously SERIOUSLY expensive items to be bought, so as I am sure you can imagine - I didn't hang around them for too long!!!

After my lost morning I decided that the next day had to be made the best of. Beverly Hills beckoned....now being a little loopy I opted to walk, something no one does over here...so after a few strange looks on the main road I ventured onto the little side streets to experience a different side to LA - it was superb - so quiet and secluded - a real treat in the middle of such a big city. After strolling some truly billion dollar streets - via Elvis' old house - I headed for UCLA. WOW - what a campus - american campuses (campi?) are spectacular. Got to see some university baseball and the final minutes of an American Football game - got a taste of that now - so San Fran itinerary now includes tickets for a real game - should be awesome (said in true american style of course!) From there I was able to catch a bus upto the Getty Centre - where the art was artistic - unsuprisingly - and nothing to write home about in my opinion - but the architecture, views and gardens were beautiful and a good finish to the day - before a two hour bus journey back - that was a lot of walking!!!

My last day in LA was to be spent Downtown - a brave idea I now know. Wow what an experience - there were artistic, cultural, jewellery and many more quarters where I was pretty much the only white person around. It was somewhat surreal to be back in that situation and being by myself I did start to feel a little vulnerable - though speaking spanish with some of the shop vendors seemed to earn me some respect - phew - the degree came in useful! Tee hee!!! From there I also went for a 5 buck tour around the Walt Disney Theatre which was rather impressive - a bit like Sydney Opera House but so much more tasteful and less seventies!!!

Ohhh yeah, forgot to mention that since Jen had left 2 very loud and fun loving brits had moved into our room - Alex and Georgie. They seemed to take pity on me and proceeded to insist that I spend the evenings with them. Lead to alot of fun and partying and some interesting outings to the liquor store - I later discovered there were secondary intentions to befriending me, i was over 21! So being 22 does have it's advantages! Our other roommates were also really nice, a barcelonian - wahoo someone to practice my spanish on! and a german - both up for the partying too!

Waking up with a hangover is apparently not the best idea for someone about to get onto a greyhound bus for 6 hours! But Vegas beckoned and I hadn't the days to waste....the journey was long and very hot but I got there in one piece and promply began to doubt that I would make it out of there in the same piece! The hostel that had been recommended was in the middle of the ghetto - scary stuff - taking to the streets was a daunting experience. However, I soon discovered that it was THE most police patrolled street in the World - comforting?!!! Needless to say i took taxis! Once checked in I met up with an ozzie (sky), a fellow welshie (?forgot!) and a canadian (Tamara), went out to dinner and then partied on down in Vegas. Lots of fun - not a camera outing though!

My first full day in Vegas started early and finished late! I spent the day walking the 'strip' - the street with the most casinos, hotels and shops that you can imagine!!! It was truly amazing - there was soooo much money on that one stretch of road both in terms of buildings, sculptures, fountains and bets! It was unbelievable. After a day on the street I rewarded myself with a show and went to see Mamma Mia - the Abba show - it was fantastic! And made even better by the half price ticket sold last minute! ACE! With an hour of watching the Bellagio fountains afterwards - it was a seriously cool day!

Next day was Grand Canyon day - an unforgettable experience - not only for the Canyon itslef (truly 'Grand'!) but also for the imbocil of a tour guide that we had - who screwed up pretty much every responsibility he had. It was appalling but gave me superb ammo for getting some money back when I returned - in true 'Jen' fashion! The evening was once again dedicated to the Bellagio fountains - they were just so mesmerizing! As well as the Mirage Volcano eruptions, the Treasure Island spectacle and views of the Venetian hotel! (I have to say it was THE biggest waste of money and resources I have ever seen - whilst at the same time truly enjoyable - and justified by the fact that the energy they use comes from the Hoover Dam!) The next day was lost on the Greyhound once again, heading back to LA to go on to San Francisco!

The plans soon changed though and before I knew it I was committed to staying in LA another day so that I could go out on Sunset Boulevard and see a few more sites from the luxury of a car. Alex the dude from BCN offered to take me up to Bel Air and over to Malibu.....WOW money money money! We went through Beverly Hills, and saw the Beverly Wilshire - remember Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman - yep that hotel! Ooooh and Rodeo Drive - that famous line - BIG mistake - HUGE and no I didn't replay that!!! From there we headed for Bel Air - in search of the Prince of Bel Air's abode - no such luck - the fences are far too high!!! And then onto Malibu - bronzed bikini clad babes on roller skates - Alex loved it!!! Upon return Sunset Boulevard beckoned and having not seen a SINGLE celebrity (can you believe it?! I must be blind!) it was an opportunity not to be missed! Party party party!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A whole M&M shop!A whole M&M shop!
A whole M&M shop!

Just for Jen!x
Self Portraits!Self Portraits!
Self Portraits!

Of a solo traveller! I knew Jen was good for something!
Jen - remind you of something....Jen - remind you of something....
Jen - remind you of something....

I had to have a go - lost a dollar - had no idea what was going on! I pressed all the buttons, but to no avail!
Beverly WiltshireBeverly Wiltshire
Beverly Wiltshire

Pretty Woman


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb