Arrival in Los Angeles


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

So, we actually got to the airport 15 minutes after check in opened! Go us! Checked in, but we weren't seated together, in fact, we were at totally opposite ends of the plane! So the check in girl offered us the extra leg room seats at no extra cost! Bonus! Hugh wasn't sure when she told him there was a wall in front, but I was quietly trying to tell him it was fine and great seats. We had the 2 middle of a four and he wanted an aisle seat, but we managed to persuade him between us and he relented! Got through security in double quick time and then nearly managed to miss the flight because they started closing boarding 30 minutes before the plane was due to take off! Whoops! Ran down to plane, luckily it was only a 10 minute walk and straight on plane. Although i say straight, questions galore from the stewardess! Anyway, the seats were great. 4 in a row, but i got seated next to the largest guy in the world. Who was so large he couldn't unfold his tray table because he belly was in the way! but within a few minutes of them closing the doors, the guy next to Hugh moved over to an empty seat on the other side of the aisle and so we moved over to and had loads of room! Hugh actually admitted that it was the best long haul flight he's ever had. Very tempted to pay for extra leg room in future on long haul especially! When you have legs as long as both of us, a cramped flight is not an experience you wanna repeat!

We arrived at LAX (Los Angeles airport) a little bit early, 15 minutes to be exact, but still early is great. And then sat on the runway for the next hour. Made a joke to Hugh about why we were sitting there and maybe because we'd arrived early they weren't ready for us and lo and behold, the pilot comes on to inform us that we are sitting there because there was a plane in our allocated slot and it hadn't finished unloading! I've now been told this is a regular occurrence at LAX. So that's why flights are cheaper to there than anywhere else! Anyway, security and baggage was a breeze and so we went to leave the airport and that is when we encountered a queue to leave! Queuing to get out of the airport is a new experience!

So, onto car pick up. This is where it gets interesting. The car hires place are not at the airport! So, you get a bus to the car hire place and then of course everyone gets there together and so there are massive queues! Not problems collecting the car though. Hugh has hired a Mustang and it's a beast! Get there and there are two white Mustangs. Another lady has gotten in one and so we look over the other one and as we are a black one arrives. Hugh asks if we can have that one instead and the guy says of course! And so we get into this beautiful big black Mustang and put the roof down. It's a little chilly, but it's got to be done!

Drive up the the Airbnb place we have hired and call the guy because he has already warned me the intercom doesn't work. The phone number doesn't work either. And I can't get enough speed up on the 4G to send him a message on Airbnb to say help! Finally realise that the phone number on the message is not the same as the one on the listing and cll that instead, in the meantime, Hugh has gone off in search and found the guy and they are heading back to me. Finally get into the house and it is beautiful! Guillaume is the perfect host and shows us around and what is what and where everything is. The room is amazingly clean and everything is brand new. A definite home from home! Hugh wants to get something to eat so we pop out and grab a quick Mexican dinner and pop into 7 Eleven for something for breakfast. And then back to the house where we realise it is now around 6am uk time, but only 10pm in LA and we have had hardly any sleep. Fall into bed and we are both fast asleep in minutes! Get woken up the next morning to drilling at 7am!! They are working on the house next door and unlike the Uk, they are allowed to start work at 7am! But at least I have had a good 9 hours sleep. Hugh is still asleep so leave him to get some more rest.

So, it is now just gone 9am, Hugh is still asleep but I have showered, breakfasted and am now on my second cup of tea. Time to get his royal highness out of bed seeing as he has been asleep for nearly 12 hours or I am going out for the day without him and leaving him there!



Bye for now peeps! Hope you enjoy our little adventure, not sure how detailed they will be as we do more and more things, but watch this space for the next installment!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb