'Cos we could...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » LAX
January 19th 2008
Published: January 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So this is the final post... here we are sitting at LAX, waiting to go through security. We both feel very sad that our holiday has come to the end. I think there's a consensus that it's probably the best holiday that either of us have had.

As hoped, we managed to get our final snorkel in Placencia... by dint of paying a bit more money. It's amazing what you can do if you stop worrying about the credit cards at the other end. We went to Silk Caye, which was a bit closer to the reef and the coral was spectacular. with just 2 of us, the guide went really slowly, so we got to see a lot of fish. The best part was that we were on a tiny island and had a barbecue on the beach.

Final night in Placencia involved, of course, the Barefoot Bar and more panti rippers. An early start from Placencia with Tropic Air gave us enough time to go into Belize City to have breakfast at the Radisson, the flash hotel in town. We had a charming taxi driver, James, who made it a good trip. He said "Why are you leavng Belize?" We didn't have a good answer. He told us that Belize City was safe as long as you took "normal precautions" ie if someone offers you something, it's drugs, down go down alleys at night, when you go out only have 2 drinks and don't go to sleep unless you know where you are as you may not ever wake up...

We realised that if our travel agent had known what she was doing we would have flown via Houston instead of Miami, in which case we would not have had to have a night in LA. However, we have made the most of the day in Santa Monica, which was a sunny one, and it's fair to say that the credit card has taken a bit more punishment. In fact, I may have spent the same in one day as I spent the whole time I was in Guatemala... which still isn't actually a whole lot.

And "cos we could?" - that was the theme of the holiday. We went away, cos we could and it coloured many of our decisions... sunrises, bus journeys, the decision not to take bus journeys, lobster (in every form, curried, nachoed and burritoed)...

Signing off now.

Thanks to my readers!

Lucy xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb