Day 10 - Geeky things and shopping in Culver City (of course)


Advertisement
Published: April 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A day of two halves really. Or, putting it another way, the team split in two.

We all drove down to Culver City Westfield Mall, the plan being to split into two groups. Group One was planning a boring day just shopping. Group Two had an exciting trip planned to the California ScienCenter, to see the exhibits including the Space Shuttle Endeavour!

Liam and Gary dropped the girls about 10am, and drove to the ScienCenter. What a neat place for geeks. Lots of exhibits, including fighter jets and of course the Shuttle. Endeavour was retired here after her last mission, and pretty much looks like she did the day she landed. Up close she looks like she has done millions of miles, lots of scratches etc. the tiles that protect her from re-entry heat are all individually numbered and custom made. So much effort, shame that the program has been scrapped. Of course we bought the obligatory t shirt as well.

Additionally they have a few re-entry capsules from Gemini and Apollo capsules. Smaller than they look...astronauts are not generally large people I guess.

We also saw an IMAX 3D movie about the repairs made to the Hubble telescope by the shuttle crews, neat story. It very nearly didn't all happen, which would have cost a lot of scientific progress.

Anyway, after that and viewing the other exhibits including a somewhat stupid hurricane simulation ( was more like someone reversed a vacuum cleaner and waved it somewhat disinterestedly in your general direction) we drove back to Culver City.

The girls were found in a state of post shopping bliss, so we all had an ice cream and retired early back to the hotel for a swim, watched a movie and are heading out for dinner shortly. Tomorrow...Las Vegas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Shuttle engines...huge!Shuttle engines...huge!
Shuttle engines...huge!

Also check out the tiles here. Each numbered individually.
All the living areas are inside the area in this shotAll the living areas are inside the area in this shot
All the living areas are inside the area in this shot

The rest is all cargo and horsepower!


Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb