Birthday Backpack Trip, Day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Lone Pine
September 14th 2018
Published: September 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Nate and family did not show up on Sat. We didn’t know if they couldn’t find us, or if they didn’t make it up to the area at all.

In the meantime, Lucian, our older grandson, woke up with a fever and sore throat. Justin decided that we should hike out.

Dale and I talked and decided that we did not want to hike out and go home. The weather was hot at home and we’d planned to stay until Monday. We gave Justin our extra items, took all of the leftover food and his stove. We had 2 backpacker meals plus the little bit of freeze-dried foods. We also kept the box wine and the port.

Dale and I were eating lunch when I caught sight of Camilo coming down the hill. We yelled to him and waved, sure enough, we were found. Then along came Zaya, she ran, throwing off her hat, sweatshirt and backpack as she ran. Lots of hugs, but more importantly they were out of water and thirsty and we had plenty.

After Zaya and Camilo reported that Bekki and Nate were completely out of water, Dale took off with containers of water and met them along the trail.

Nate and Bekki, with kids in tow, and you must know that the kids walked nearly the entire way; Emilio age 5 and Jasper age 3, arrived at the camp. Kids kicked off their shoes and ran down to the meadow to play in the water.

For dinner, we had fusion Mexican-Pho soup and Quesadillas made with Nate’s Sonora wheat. Then it was time for the party, a Twinkie birthday cake. As we didn’t want to set the forest on fire we did not set out 74 candles.

As for Nate, Bekki, kids and Camilo, they didn’t take the turn onto the Pacific Crest Trail but instead went down a steep trail to another side of Mulshy Meadow. They thought that they saw lights from us but it was someone else. Hence, the delay to our campsite.



Next backpack trip we are taking a good map and making sure that we are all on the same route.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb