Joshua Tree National Park


Advertisement
Published: April 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

We camped on BLM land at the south entrance of Joshua Tree National park with our friends Patti, Karl, Stacey, & Walt. We spent 2 days in the park exploring the treasures it has to offer. The Joshua Trees reminded us of something out of a Dr. Seuss book. The rock climbing was so fun. So different from any national park we have been to before.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Cottonwood Spring PalmCottonwood Spring Palm
Cottonwood Spring Palm

Indians, cowboys, miners, teamsters, and other desert travelers found Cottonwood Spring a refreshing place. In the area are stone mortars and artifacts that indicate Indians camped here for centuries. There is also evidence of miners and homesteaders having spent time in the area.
Cottonwood Spring PalmsCottonwood Spring Palms
Cottonwood Spring Palms

The view of the palms oasis on the way down the trail.
Trail/cloudsTrail/clouds
Trail/clouds

This was an easy trail to follow with several hills to climb. The clouds were amazing and keep us cooler during the hiking.
Stone mortarStone mortar
Stone mortar

Cahuilla Indians used the mortar holes to pound mesquite and other seeds into flour. Imagine the time it took to get these holes so deep!
Danger!Danger!
Danger!

So many things in the desert are prepared to attack. This bush had thorns that would definitely leave a mark if you landed in it. Mike, always pushing the envelope.
Desert TortoiseDesert Tortoise
Desert Tortoise

He was resting is some shade along the Lost Palm Trail
Yucca plantsYucca plants
Yucca plants

These yucca plants were plentiful along the Lost Palms Oasis Trail.
ClimbingClimbing
Climbing

You are free to climb the rocks, at your own risk. Stacey was definitely the rock-climbing queen!
Cottonwood Spring PalmsCottonwood Spring Palms
Cottonwood Spring Palms

The view of the palms on the way back.
Cholla GardenCholla Garden
Cholla Garden

The Cholla cactus was very dense in this area. The park had crisscrossing trails that gave you a good view.
ChollaTrailChollaTrail
ChollaTrail

The trail took you right up to the Teddy Bear Cholla. But don't try to hug these teddy bears, they are not soft and cuddly.
Coachella ValleyCoachella Valley
Coachella Valley

On the second day, we started at Keys View which overlooked the valley.
Keys View Salton SeaKeys View Salton Sea
Keys View Salton Sea

In the distance on the upper left is the Salton Sea. It lies 235 feet below sea level.
Mount San Jacinto (10,831 feet)Mount San Jacinto (10,831 feet)
Mount San Jacinto (10,831 feet)

There was snow on the mountain. It is more than twice the height of the mountains within Joshua Tree National Park.
San Andreas FaultSan Andreas Fault
San Andreas Fault

In the valley lies the San Andreas Fault.
Cap RockCap Rock
Cap Rock

Joshua Tree National Park is known for its large boulders. So many interesting formations throughout the park!
StrongmanStrongman
Strongman

Mysterious how these rocks stay in place! Climbing them was so much fun!
Rock climbingRock climbing
Rock climbing

An adult playground with all the rocks to climb.
HigherHigher
Higher

Stacey is definitely part mountain goat. She loved climbing to new heights!
ClimbingClimbing
Climbing

The two things Joshua Tree is known for - the rocks and the Joshua trees. We found both fascinating!
Joshua TreeJoshua Tree
Joshua Tree

The trees are like something out of a Dr. Seuss book


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb