Death Valley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Death Valley
October 21st 2014
Published: November 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We went on to Pahrump, Nevada, which is 60 miles North of Las Vegas. Surprisingly, Tom wasn't even concerned that I was within walking distance of the casinos! We took a day trip to Death Valley. It was beyond anything we expected. While traveling into the center of Death Valley we stopped at Ash Meadows, a wildlife refuge in the Mojave. At first, we thought it a mirage' but soon realized we were in wetlands fed by an underground geologic fault. We enjoyed our packed lunch and continued into Death Valley.

The 20-mule team borax wagon originally traveled through Death Valley before the steam locomotive replaced it. Both "originals" are on display at the Borax Museum.

We traveled to Badwater which is one of the lowest spots of dry land in the world, at about -278 ft (below sea level.) Badwater Basin is a surreal landscape of vast salt flats. We refilled our water jugs after spending the day in 102' sun and traveled home by way of the Artists Palette, a nine-mile loop which shows off God's sand pile!

The following Saturday we traveled to nearby China Ranch Date Farm. This working date farm has part of
Ash MeadowsAsh MeadowsAsh Meadows

Garden of Eden!
The Old Spanish Trail meandering through it. We enjoyed a delicious date shake in this hidden oasis. A great way to end our time here.

Enjoy the pictures. We plan to stop at Lake Mead on our way to the Grand Canyon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

BadwaterBadwater
Badwater

278' below sea level
China RanchChina Ranch
China Ranch

Date Farm


14th November 2014

Thanks Again!
Happy Thanksgiving, wherever you spend it!
14th November 2014

Thanks Again!
Happy Thanksgiving, wherever you spend it!
14th November 2014
Ash Meadows

Colorful picture
I love your picture of Ash Meadows with the fall colors. It was mostly green when we were there and the most color I got in pix was in the springs. Really pretty.
17th November 2014
Ash Meadows

Ash Meadows
Thanks Cheryl. It was your pic of Ash Meadows that alerted us to go there!
14th November 2014
Dates are Ripe!

Beautiful
Those pictures are really beautiful...wow Karen,is that the same camera that we gifted you at your retirement dinner? If so...it is great and you have done a wonderful job showing the beauty of our west coast...
17th November 2014
Dates are Ripe!

Camera
I was doing so well with my retirement gift that Tom got me a new one for my birthday. The CTNA camera is outstanding for close-ups, like the dates, or flowers. The new one is great for animals moving, like a moose. I haven't seen a moose yet!
15th November 2014

Thanks
This is now on our must see list!! Best Regards
17th November 2014

Death Valley
Leave yourselves some time for this visit. We never made it to Scotty's Castle and everyone told us to go there too.

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb