A plastic city of plastic people...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Carlsbad
October 1st 2012
Published: October 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Griswalds arrive Wally World...Griswalds arrive Wally World...Griswalds arrive Wally World...

..if you don't get it check out Chevy Chase in National Lampoon movie about his families road trip across States to visit Wally World...
No, not time for a George Orwellesque insightful assessment of first world living in a capitalistic material possession obsessed 21st century. We went to Legoland. California. As opposed to Legoland anywhere else in the world if there was any misunderstanding. An opportunity for children to play in a place they related to from their daily interaction with their everyday educational toys...might sell that to Lego!

The children were harried and harassed, pushed and prodded, cajoled and cursed at to get them to the car by 0845 hours stat because by any of the dieties you elect as your personal preference, life style choice or faith inspired belief - Sandy was going to have us there for 0900 hrs, at the gate for 'opening time' all of which we had carefully planned through the magic of the interweb thingy.

We threw Frostbite through turns and twists, curves and corners and like the Griswalds at Wally World (I liked this one) we pulled into a carpark right alongside the gates at 0859 hrs with not another person at sight.We leapt from our vehicle and ran to the main gate, the soundtrack of Vangelis, Chariots of Fire, playing inaudibly in our mental
Couple of 'Wallys'...Couple of 'Wallys'...Couple of 'Wallys'...

...this is Reuben and Darth Maul...DM is made entirely out of Lego...
sound system as we leapt and hurdled the final barriers (all in slow motion to work in with the sound track) to arrive first! Unbeaten! Number 1# at the ticket office...and the sign reading 'Welcome to Legoland - Gates Open at 10:0am'

Spent a fascinating hour familiarising ourselves with the layout of the park sitting outside it. Gates opened, strangely enough, at 10:00am and we were in at 10:01am.

More of a crowd had gathered now, but still nothing at all, not even close enough to make a comparison with Universal and Disney in Orlando last year.

Went straight to the Star Wars section which featured no rides but had a number of scenes from all the movies, clone wars series etc set out in Lego. Most of these were similar in size to a small bedroom and were really well done. Also couple of life size lego models of Sith Lords etc...

Then we wandered into some area based around Knights and Castles and the like. Had a go on a roller coaster which was very tame. Suited me. Hate roller coasters. Then Sandy and Caitlin went on something to do with fighting dragons or
Battle of Genosis...Battle of Genosis...Battle of Genosis...

...or something very similar. Reubs was able to name every battle scene. Is this a concern?
something and got strapped into this long arm type contraption and got thrown around like ragdolls. They started on the most basic level but then wanted to do it again on a more violent level. I was happy watching, so was Reubs.

Caitlin will be a mountain climbing, sky diving, white water rafting back packer. Reubs - maybe not so much, more like his dad. Poor sod!

Well, we thought the zoo had been hot but today! Even warmer. (on 10pm news they talked about it reaching 104 F but that may be a little higher than where we were - and how this was a unusual San Diego heatwave)

While we had taken food with us, we still ended up buying a light lunch. Here is where we give a little bit of a big ups to Legoland. They actually offer a lot more healthy food options - you still need to carry your own DIY kidney removal kit to pay for it, but it all seemed a lot more health conscious. Not exactly a haven for vegan yet but an improvement on other parks, "fur shoer". In Disney and Universal you could almost sense the
Chicks just 'hanging'...Chicks just 'hanging'...Chicks just 'hanging'...

...this arm then dropped, and spun, went upside down and basically threw the human form into places its not supposed to go...fairly tame but not my thing...Caitlin loves this stuff!!!
Grim Reaper hovering in the shadowed corners, sharpening his scythe as he looked over the abundance of candidates gorging themselves closer to its blade.

By now it was "hot, hot and wet" as referenced by Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam, so we headed into Pirate Shores. For the next hour or so we went on rides that involved water cannons, splashing log flumes and a little boat ride that I guess we didn't take as seriously as we should have when the sign read, "you will probably get very wet". The sign was extremely misleading. Probably is not the correct description of an event that is a scientific certainty.

So, fairly basic ride type thing that goes up onto a platform and then plunges at a fair clip down into the water that stands up like a wall in front of and then over the entire boat. And everyone in it. It was a very hot day so very refreshing.

We then became the only people to be seen using the 'family drier' a cubicle that the whole family stands in and hot lights and fans are turned on you to dry you out. I refused
Just a water ride...Just a water ride...Just a water ride...

...there are water cannons in the water that cruel parents can activate from the footpath outside the ride and drench their kids (if they are those sort of parents...yeah...we did)
to do this.

I stood and watched as people gathered to watch my wife and children, and even take photographs of them, using this device. It was just a little embarrassing.

Anyway, wandered a little more around the park, kids did a few more rides and we stuck it out until closing time. Kids had a good time, but this place has an age limit on it. If your kids are over 10 this place is tame and just a little cheesey, a glorified 'Chipmunks Playground' almost. As Lego is more boy orientated there is also a little more appeal for boys perhaps. Having said that kids still enjoyed it but if the Disney Parks scored 10's with them, this probably more a 8. Better set up for the younger kids - but still a good day out.

Value for money? Compared to other parks (and we can make this comparison) it is a little pricey for what it is and the attractions that it offers. Just our opinion, well more mine...

Drove straight from Legoland, the 5 minute drive, to CPOM....the good old Carlsbad Premium Outlet Mall. Sandy had a set list of things she
Starts here...Starts here...Starts here...

...career down this little ramp but build up a little speed...
needed to finalise the kids wardrobes through puberty and their high school years and I needed to get us an additional piece of luggage to move some of this.

It is only fair that I do admit at this point that I am bringing home more shoes than anybody else - it is not all Sandy and it is sensible given the range and highly discounted prices.

Dinner at Ruby's again because it was kids pick and our last meal in California.

Back at the apartment at 8pm and a cooling swim for the kids before bed time as still muggy. Really nice setting as there is a huge full moon that is a glowing yellow, either a natural phenomen or result of air pollution. Whatever, looks very cool.

Started the packing and sorting out the allocation of weight across the 5 pieces of luggage. No problems envisaged. Fingers crossed.

It was a good day and a nice way to wind up the final day of the holiday for the kids with something focussed completely on them.

**published in the Rainforest Cafe (refer San Francisco - December 2010 blogs as same franchise) and have
..disappear into this.....disappear into this.....disappear into this...

...where a little 'moisture' saturates the hell outta y'all....
found some random free wifi for some random outfit so as to finish this and publish it....only bugger is got elephants roaring and gorillas yelling so loud can hardly hear a thing...oh good now a mock thunder storm. Kids enjoying it so what else matters...

**** note for travellers to US with young boys - Lego is significantly cheaper here - look out especially for the Lego Stores themselves - cheaper than even Walmart (just a glorified K-Mart)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

...and end up like this......and end up like this...
...and end up like this...

...absolutely drenched...but hey its a hot day...and the kids loved it...
Family drier - how embarassing!Family drier - how embarassing!
Family drier - how embarassing!

...and then you pay $5 to stand in a heated cabinet...on a day knocking the mercury off the scale...go figure!
Dance classes...Dance classes...
Dance classes...

Caitlin teaches a Sith to dance...
A boys dream...A boys dream...
A boys dream...

...imagine having this much Lego!
...and more Lego!...and more Lego!
...and more Lego!

...Reubs is now considering career options. Imagine getting paid to build Lego! And even better - Star Wars battle scenes!
Yod's and Caitlin...Yod's and Caitlin...
Yod's and Caitlin...

...is there nothing that can't be done with Lego!
Mount Rushmore...Mount Rushmore...
Mount Rushmore...

...American Presidents in Lego. Probably don't need to see the real deal now.
Big enough you reckon!Big enough you reckon!
Big enough you reckon!

...it was a very, very hot day but this was a very, very big ice cream!


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb