Airing Ourselves Out


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
August 22nd 2022
Published: August 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

House ready to sellHouse ready to sellHouse ready to sell

House is all painted and cleaned
A friend, who knows who it was by now, said that I needed to blog as the events in our lives are changing.

Well, here I am, sitting in our Jag while Dale drives down Highway 101. We just had a wonderful little getaway and I am enjoying the last of our, wind in the hair, moments.

So, to back up a couple of months, we were attempting to get ready to go to Canada for an extended period of time. Unfortunately, we’d had problems with intruders and we knew that the hot summer was fast approaching. Additionally, we’d been talking for years about moving to Canada. We made the decision to sell the house and move on.

We contacted the realtor we’d worked with and she told us what we needed to do to get the house ready to sell. The house needed to be painted throughout the entire interior, new butcher block countertop and a new shower floor.

It took some time but we got mostly moved out into 2 storage units and our RV. The RV is still heaped with stuff but it will be gone thru eventually.

Moving from a house into
FriendsFriendsFriends

Together at the same time, same place
a 200sf RV is not easy at all. I don’t think I’d want to be a permanent RV’er as I’ve lived in it while working for weeks on end. Plus, there is no room for my sewing machine or Dale’s model airplanes that he has partially built, or anything else. We had to decide which clothes to pack up, where to store our silver, photos, negatives and on and on.

I am taking my big scanner, DVD’s and CD’s that have photos as this is a good time to transfer those to a newer media. We also have books bought recently that will fill in the time.

For about 3 weeks we spent every day packing and going thru stuff, Dale in the garage and me in the house. Finally, a friend said that we should just stop and go away without the RV. Just go away and “air out”.

We saw that it was going to be really hot for a couple of days so packed up the Jag, put it on the car trailer and hauled it to Atascadero. Some friends saw us on the road and followed us to say hi. We then drove
Big SurBig SurBig Sur

A meal with a view
up the highway until we reached cool ocean air. We did not bring any food, just a couple of bottles of wine and our credit cards.

We’d really wanted to go to Big Sur and camp but opted for a hotel, then spent a day driving down Hwy 1, past Big Sur for a leisurely lunch at Nepenthe. This was a getaway that we needed.

We still worry that we have made a good decision, our house is a beautiful home and repainted, we’d really like it. But it is too big, it is too hot in the summer and expensive to keep cool, the air quality is really bad and sends me into coughing fits, and I feel safer in Canada. But having lived in the house for 25 years it is easy to become complacent and it is tough to make a major change. However, we are sure that we will be fine starting a new life. It’s scary and exciting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb