My Berkeley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Berkeley
July 17th 2022
Published: July 17th 2022
Edit Blog Post

From Finance Buzz: Although Berkeley may be considered more bougie than bohemian these days, the counterculture vibe that made it so famous in the 60s is still recognizable in its local haunts, and food and art scene. Dine at world-famous Chez Panisse — considered by many to be the birthplace of the California cuisine food movement — where the focus is on locally sourced, sustainable ingredients.

For art and cinema aficionados, the UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive is on a mission to “inspire the imagination (and) ignite critical dialogue” with diverse exhibitions and hard-to-find independent films. For a taste of the old days, head to the University of California’s epicenter of protests and performances, Sproul Hall, or head to Telegraph Avenue for bookstores and street vendor wares.



I love Berkeley, as I attended as both an undergrad and grad student. It remains one of the biggest and most important parts of my early years. Getting away from Kingsburg was probably the most important step of my life. Though I had a wonderful family and many friends, I really needed to see more of the world, gain a different perspective, and educate myself for the future. Now, my friends call me a Berkeley liberal!
Another place I went for post graduate studies:
Attending a Tar Heels game on the University of North Carolina’s pretty, mid-19th century campus is practically a spiritual experience. After worshiping at the altar of a men’s basketball or women’s soccer game, visit the Franklin-Rosemary Historic District that abuts campus and make a tour of the 30 plus art murals around downtown.

Don’t forget Chapel Hill’s notable food scene — the area once won the title of “America’s Foodiest Small Town” by Bon Appétit magazine. Local favorites include the upscale Hawthorne & Wood and Sutton’s Drug Store, a beloved diner filled with Tar Heels basketball memorabilia.



The Tar Heels live for basketball. This includes the profs, who will give a pre-lecture rundown of the previous night's game, ad nauseum. By the time I was here, in the 1990s, my life was fairly well established. And the great golf courses nearby at Pinehurst were also an attraction! Going to school on the east coast is quite different from the west coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb