Not enough words!


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This morning we woke up slightly later than yesterday but we were still up and about and laughing at Fox News by 6am. Breakfast wasn't offered in the hotel and the only other thing open (and by that I mean not shut down) was a petrol station so we decided to hit the road and figure out food as we went.
As we drove out of Tonopah, we headed due West towards California through wide open desert. Only 5 or so miles down the road, I looked in my rear view mirror and was gob smacked at the view. The road seemed to go on forever and the perspective was perfect for pictures. We bundled out of the car and did a few obligatory jumping shots before continuing on our way. As we drove the scenery began to change, and soon we were driving through something that seemed more like moorland than desert. It actually reminded us both of the Yorkshire moors. After a few more miles snow capped mountains started to pop up on the horizon. So obviously we stopped and got out of the car and did some outstanding "pissing about in the road" pictures. We were on that road for about 30 minutes and not a single car passed us. The air felt so clean and pure and there was absolutely no noise except for a slight breeze rustling the grass. The border into California wasn't marked at all. In fact we only knew we were in California when we were stopped and "inspected" for animals and produce passing into the state. The lady briefly looked up and told who ever she was on the phone to to "wait a minute hun," asked us if we were carrying any fruit or veg then sent us in our way so she could get back to her phone call. Apparently our apples won't be causing any threats this week!The road began to climb quite quickly once we got to California and it felt like the view was just a painting on the windows that got changed every few minutes. We went from moorlands, to towering red sand stone, to huge open grass lands where the road undulated so much that we almost were taking off at the top and jumping from hill to hill. After we turned a corner we were confronted with a large lake surrounded by purple flowers. When Becky opened the window to take some photos the air smelled like perfume. It was like no other scent I have ever smelled before but it was beautiful. A few miles up the road and another stunning view which looked just like the Alps. Snow topped mountains and lunch green meadows with little farms dotted through them. Five miles later, we were in Alpine forests and just as soon as the trees were there they were gone and we saw the breath taking Mono Lake. We got out of the car and stood and looked at the white gravel which perfectly framed the lake and we talked about how much we would struggle to explain all the things we had seen before 10am. There aren't really the words and the pictures just don't do it justice. The route we took to get to Lee Vining and the entrance to Yosemite national park wasn't the most conventional, but it was really worth it because of the things we took the time to see on the way. Having a 4x4 really helped and even though it took a few hours longer and it meant Becky was without breakfast until 10:30 we wouldn't have done it any other way. In Lee Vining, we stopped for fuel for the car and fuel for us and of course coffee for Becky! As we were going to be in the park for the rest of the day we got a few bits of things to put in the cooler from the petrol station to keep us going until dinner time. The Tioga pass is the main route through the mountains of Yosemite and it is quite a busy but slow little road. After our morning of overwhelming views and scenery we weren't expecting that much from the drive to the valley floor but how mistake can two girls be?! We were stopped every few hundred yards to take more pictures of views that just wouldn't stop getting better. Becky has been to New Zealand, and she was saying that she had never seen anything so beautiful. About 20 minutes later we arrived at the park gates, got our America the beautiful pass (so we can get into ALL the national parks) and got some information about how best to fit in two days of stuff into 8-9 hours. The ranger was excellent and suggested the places that we should stop on the road to help us make progress with our journey... If I had my way we probably would still be making our way along that road taking pictures!We drove through Yosemite, along the Tioga pass and then down onto the valley floor. As it was a Saturday in July the park was very busy and the traffic was slow and the parking was non existent. We drove around for a while and there was so much to see just from the road that we were perfectly happy to just keep chugging along until a miracle happened and a car pulled out right in front of us giving us a parking space right at the bottom of a trail to mirror lake. We bundled out, got water to go, marvelled at the 20 degree temperature change we just felt and set off towards the lake. The hike wasn't hard and the very last section met up with a paved path. The lake was beautiful, but almost as soon as we got there it clouded over and started to rain. It was soft warm rain so we really didn't mind and by the time we walked the 3 miles back to the car the sun was back out and we were dry.Rather than being sensible humans and heading out of the park at 6 pm, we drove 45 minutes further into the park and up to Glacier point. Again we got very lucky with a parking place and made the little walk up the steep hill to what was the most amazing view of the day... And after the views that we had seen that day I'm sure you can imagine how gob smacked we were! As we were back up at hight the temperature had dropped right back down and there was a cool breeze but we stayed for an hour just watching the sun get lower in the sky and changing the light on half done and El Capatain. Before the sun fully set we decided to head back and beat the traffic and it was probably the best decision we have made because the hotel I booked "on the edge of the park" was actually a three and a half hour drive through mountain roads and hairpin bends. I was so shattered by the time we got to the hotel that we skipped dinner and just crashed! Tomorrow we head to San Fransisco but first... So much sleep!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb