Petit Jean State Park...Day 3–Massive Views!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arkansas » Morrilton
June 23rd 2018
Published: June 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We actually were awakened around 4:00 this morning to a horrific thunderstorm. It must have been really close because the lightening would light up inside the motor home. However, we were snug and safe inside our little cocoon!



By the time we were up and about and ready to start our day, the rain had stopped and the air was much cooler than yesterday evening. Our plan this morning was to hitch a ride in the Big Blue Truck and go to the Petit Jean Mountain overlook and the historical site of Petit Jean’s gravesite.



The view from the top of the bluff looking out over the Arkansas River was almost 180 degrees. It was magnificent. There we saw once again some of the huge rocks that make up Petit Jean Mountain. I hope the pictures do it justice. There was a ranger talk at the overlook that was very interesting. There are several stories about the naming of the mountain and the supposed life and death of Petit Jean...some romantic, some not so much. At any rate, our interpreter did a great job and we enjoyed our stop very much.



From the mountain overlook we went back to camp where Tom and John let Laura, Sheeba, and me out. They then went to The Museum of Automobiles which lies here in the park. It was started by Winthrop Rockefeller in 1961. That was the year that he bought a collection of antique and classic cars from The James Melton Museum in Florida. Restoration of the cars followed along with construction of a new museum building on a 57 acre tract of land atop beautiful Petit Jean Mountain. The museum opened in October of 1964 with Mr. Rockefeller’s cars on display. John and Tom both enjoyed the museum visit and Laura and I enjoyed catching up!



For lunch we drove to Mather Lodge where we had hamburgers out on the patio with a HUGE view of the park. The original part of Mather Lodge was build by the CCC in the early 1930’s. It is a lovely building and the views are magnificent.



From Mather Lodge we drove to various other overlooks in the park. See Pictures below! Our last stop was a walk down to a cave. I got 1/2 there are realized I only had my Crocs on, not my hiking sandals so I stopped and just enjoyed looking at the many different rock formations. I was glad that I did as they were very unusual.





Tonight was my night to cook, so we had chicken stir fry on rice. It turned out well and everyone seemed to enjoy it. This has been a great visit with our children...sometimes you forget how much you miss them!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Rocky overlook Rocky overlook
Rocky overlook

View from Petit Jean Overlook
Use your imagination!Use your imagination!
Use your imagination!

These rocks really do look like the backs of turtles,


26th June 2018

Wonderful Trip
I feel like I am on this trip with you.......love hearing about it. Safe travels my friends.
26th June 2018

pics
The pictures are breathtaking! Thanks so much for sharing :-)
27th June 2018

Storms
It is storming here as I write this. Your pictures are great. We are following your adventure, B usually gets to it before me and says Pats blog is here. It is like waiting for mail to come. Keep posting as long as you are able, we love reading them.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb