Trip Stats


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, we're back now and I thought I'd wrap this blog up with a few interesting statistics about the trip -

Over the course of 18 days from June 11th to the 28th we travelled by train (3060 miles) and car (1478 miles) a total distance of 4548 miles through 9 states (Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah) occupying an area (904,055 square miles) that is 29% of the area of the 48 contiguous states.

We crossed the Atlantic/Pacific continental divide 4 times, utilized 8 different forms of transportation (train, automobile, streetcar, ferry boat, subway, taxi, ski lift, and feet), and passed 6 major bodies of water (The Arkansas River, the Rio Grande River, The Pacific Ocean, the San Francisco Bay, The Great Salt Lake, and the Colorado River).

We stayed in 7 different places (Dad's house in Kansas, Econolodge in Albuquerque, Pearson's house in Tiburon, Holiday Inn in SLC, Rajamaki's house in Park City, Ramada in Denver, and the Slope View BnB in Winter Park) and slept on the train a few nights while we passed through three time zones (Central, Mountain, and Pacific).

We drove over Guardsman Pass in Utah, through Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, and across the Great Plains of Kansas; rode across the Golden Gate Bridge; and passed at least 6 different mountain ranges (Sandias, Sierra Nevadas, Book, Uintas, Wasatch, and Rockies).

All in all it was quite a trip - something I know we'll both remember forever. Thanks to dad, who made the trip possible, and to everyone who helped us out along the way.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb