Canadian, Bentonville, and Cotter


Advertisement
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


July 7, Tuesday

Happy Birthday sister Betsy ! We departed Dalhart TX and continued eastbound towards a little Texas town Deb spotted on the map called Canadian. Since it was "on the way" we crossed the Canadian River, and stopped for a few pics of the welcome sign just outside of town. Then we pulled over next to a coffee shop, which turned out to originally have been a 1915 drug store including the soda fountain counter ! What a neat little town this was. We stayed about 2 hours while I got lots of work done via cell phone and computer for the national rally happening in a week and two days. Deb wandered around town and took a few more pics. After I was finally ready to roll, we continued on to Enid, Oklahoma and decided to stop there for the night in what was once a Motel 6 and is now a something else motel. Still all the basics are there, bed, shower, door.

July 8, Wednesday

Right after I stepped outside, on the way to grab some free coffee, I realized a nasty ugly thunderstorm was reaching out for us from the west. I
Eureka SpringsEureka SpringsEureka Springs

Good fudge !
hurried the packing up and we got out of town with the raindrops just starting. As we rode east, the storm was to our north, and trying to cut us off. Big wall clouds, lots of rain shafts that occasionally appeared to be tornadoes, but it was just a trick of the light reflecting ( thank goodness ). We dodged about three more of these thunderstorms, then finally got caught just as we entered Tulsa. We pulled over for a Starbucks, which was situated in the Crown Plaza fancy schmancy hotel where we dripped water all over their nice clean white tile work on the way across the rotunda and up the escalator to the coffee shop. Once we'd had our fill of Ten Bucks coffee, we squidged our way back to the bike, and the storms were gone. We rode on to Arkansas, got a new map at the visitor center, and continued to Bentonville and the BMW dealership, where I had an appointment for the harder parts of the 24,000 mile service. It was time, since Bear had close to 27,000 miles on him already. They originally agreed to check the computer codes and balance the throttle bodies, since they are running several weeks behind in their service schedule. I thought it was darned nice of them to agree to do anything for me at all. They also spec'd the valves, and changed the plugs for me which was a nice add-on. Now all I have to do is change the liquids, replace the oil and air filters, and I'm all set. I'm going to avail myself of John and Maria Flora's garage near Jonesboro AR in a day or two for that work. After we closed down the dealership, we set up camp at the Withrow Springs State Park a few miles further on.

July 9, Thursday

On the way eastward, after paying our $9.91 camping fee, basically following US 412, although we did a little side trip up to Eureka Springs first. This is a cute little town that deserves a few days to explore, so we simply bought some fudge, had coffee of course, and continued along the scenic route towards the point where the sun comes up. We had a bit of Dairy Queen later in the day, and went in search of a house for sale that was listed on the cork-board - 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, 2 acres, barn, garage, shed, orchard and landscaped - $36,000. I think we found the wrong place, but anyway, what a deal. Today was wonderful riding as the road engineers in Arkansas must all ride motorcycles because every curve is angled properly, none of them have decreasing radii, and there's not a pothole to be found. The whole state seems to be filled with cruising twisties, the kind you can take in 5th gear and 60 mph. Very stress-reducing. We crossed the White River ( no not the one from Indiana) at Cotter, and peeking over the bridge I noticed a cute little park with people swimming. Down to the river we rolled and found the coolest "swimming hole" set up in the town park right along the river. The main river has one heck of a current, but this swimming spot is up a little "canal" filled with smooth gravel, and even has a rope swing. There's very little current in it, but I think there is actually a spring there that created the little backwater canal. We both hopped in wearing our "underclothes" and no one seemed to mind. Refreshed and a still a bit damp, we continued on to Old Davidsonville State Park, still an hour or so from Jonesboro.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb