Road Trip 2008-- Closing the Last Chapter of the Western Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
June 26th 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Escape from Snow Mountain, The Meltdown!




Notes from the lazy author:

1) Okay--- I have neglected my duties and confused many people in the interim. People had a hard time reading the blog and believing I was not actually still in the cities I was writing about, even when I was face to face with them. It was kind of like realizing that all television shows were not LIVE and that the people did not live in the TV. It is the 21st century folks!

2) I am glad I decided to start this before taking any courses, because I would have a tough time getting back into the swing of things. I do not remember doing too much homework at U of A, I just attended classes. I know that may be surprising to some of you, but sitting in an 1 hour lecture was a lot easier than reading a book or several books. I guess if this is something I may want to pursue I should remain disciplined.

3) Thank yous to everyone that have been sending me encouraging and hilarious comments. They have made my solo trip less solo!

Enough with the excuses, where did I leave off?

Wow!! Just re-read that entry. I still need to try to proof read before I publish. Talk about Stream -of-consciousness. In my defense, my friends daughter, Ms. Bailey, was trying to make me play online Dora and some other 66 street whatever kid show games, while I was trying to get that entry out.



As I am running down the mountain escaping the snow, I was relieved to notice the outside temp was rising as I was descending. Just as I was getting comfortable with my speed I see road construction signs.
Apparently in Colorado you are not allowed to pass on a 2 lane highway anywhere near road construction. This led to my inevitable second encounter with the State authorities. A semi- truck in front of me had seemed to be going VERY slowly, so I attempted to pass it, along with the truck behind me. WEe quickly noticed that all cars were stopped and that it was down to a single lane highway and you had to wait to be escorted through the road construction. They have been doing road construction on PCH for months and ther are no escorts, they just allow all drivers to drive willy nilly over the unpaved road. When we get to move through I get waved over by the State Trooper, completely unaware why. I happen to be on the phone with someone and they got to hear the whole scenario! He had fail to pull the truck behind me over, so I was the only one on the side awaiting my ticket. Completely annoyed with myself, I do not want to waste Traffic School on such a stupid offense. The officer, again, was quite nice and explained the passing rules. I am completely convinced that he saw I got the car at LAX and I was alone, I got a little more sympathy. He handed me a piece of paper, it was not a yellow warning slip. It was a violation and the fine was only $46. I smiled. He also assured me that this would only affect my driving record in Colorado and no points attached to my California driver's license. I held back the even bigger grin. $46 this is cheaper than a street cleaning parking ticket in Santa Monica! I am still loving the cops in Colorado.

$46 lighter and 4 hours later I am approaching New Mexico. I am about 1 hour outside of Santa Fe and i notice some media vans. Next thing I notice are some bicyclists. Bicyclist riding in the middle of desert at 4 pm ( the hottest time of the day). I see vans following them they have RAAM---Race Across America. These people are insane!!! I speed past them wondering what I am going to do in Santa Fe. I do have Hotel reservations, as of yet. I am driving around town, scouting what there is to do, luckily Amy Ladow is on the phone with me to help me make some decisions.

Nicole: what is there to do in Santa Fe?
Amy: not much, lots of art stuff to check out
Nicole: just local art? santa fe styled stuff?
Amy: Yea, it is pretty much like Sedona, but uglier
Nicole: Got it. I will stop at this Wholefoods, grab a quick bite and head to Albuquerque

Now, I would consider Amy a good friend if she had told me that Albuquerque was just like Tucson but bigger and uglier. I arrive there an hour later---first thing I see, a TD's. That is a local strip joint. Tucson is lucky enough to have one on the westside and eastside of town. The guys liked to call it "The office." They supposedly have a great burger. I am starting to get discouraged. I have been on the road for 7 hours, eating my meals in the car, My Audiobook is over and have nothing to show for it. AHH HAA ---I spy a rollercoaster/ amusement park with my little eye. Along the way I spy all the Tucson joints too: Jason's Deli, Schlotsky's (horrible sandwiches, how is that still in business, let alone a chain?), Laff's Comedy Club , college days just come flooding back. I arrive at the Park and it is closed. I pull out my trusty yet extremely annoying Touch phone and decide I can drive another 2 hours and stay in fabulous Gallup New Mexico. It starts to cool off and I gain some sort of second wind. I am looking forward to my first visit to the Grand Canyon. I lived in AZ for 13 years and never once got to the rim of this giant whole on the Earth.
It was getting close to 10 pm, that's 12 hours on the road, I am closing in on Gallup and notice on my trusty Google maps that Flagstaff is only an hour away and just an hour from the Grand Canyon. this will allow me to sleep in a little and eat breakfast in Flagstaff. I power through. The guy a the desk of the Econo Lodge, yes I said Econo Lodge, told me rooms were $99.99 because it is the High season. I know I gave him a look of, I am by myself, I have been on the road, I look like I need a hot shower and I am stopping at a Econo Lodge. He gave me the local coupon discount of $59.99. FANTASTIC! The Econo Lodge was fairly impressive. Soap, Shampoo, thick towels, cable TV, free WiFi, Continental Breakfast and free USA Today. Super Fantastic!!!


On my way to Grand Canyon, I get into the Park and agree, It is a BIG Hole. I think I am a little discouraged after my first week of Rock Formations and Mountains. it is pretty hot, about 80 degrees. All I want to do is hike down to the waterfalls. I figured this is definitely a trip I want to take. This year will probably be great because there was so much snow, so the water levels will be nice and high. I make all the stops along the rim, take some pictures and head down the hill. The Laker series is still going in progress. (I do not care who won, it will remain the Laker series. The Laker series that sucked, nonetheless they made it to the finals) I want to drive through Sedona and Oak Creek so I start my way down. Lo and Behold I see some familiar media trucks and bicylclists. these crazy people are biking up this 2 lane highway. More importantly, they are making it impossible to pass and creating A LOT of traffic. People are driving 25 MPH the entire way. The construction in Sedona makes Santa Fe a much more attractive locale. After swearing at the slow driver who refuses to step on the gas for the last 10 miles/ 30 minutes. I see I-17 and put the petal to the metal. El Verde does not fail me and follows suit.

As I was approaching Dana and Dan's house to have some dinner and watch the game. The blaring 100+ degree weather is closing in on all sides. I forgot what it was like to actually see the heat rising from the pavement. You feel like you may be hallucinating or you need to get your eyes checked it is so blurry.

The following day the girls, Amy Eislein, Dana Zazueta, Amy Ladow, Rina (I seriously cannot think of her last name right now, she will kill me) spent the day at Dana's pool drinking Amy ladow's POTENT Mojitos, mimosas and beer. Amy basically roofied herself with her own concotion! It is the only way to last in the Phoenix heat.
I cannot leave the state of Arizona without my bi-annual visit to Last Chance. This is a Nordstrom Last Chance similar to Neiman's Last Call. T-Shirts and Tank tops are $3. I always restock every summer. Dresses and shoes form Marc Jacob, Trina Turk, BCBG , Calvin Klein, Prada and Gucci from $20 - $100. It is stupid not to go. I do mean STUPID. The other not to miss is Richardson's Roasted Garlic appetizer. It is not in Phyllo, but it should be. It comes with Cheese, Roasted Garlic and toasted sliced Baguette. This time it had almost too much cheese ( I wonder if that could ever happen? Only on a pizza) Simply the best appetizer ever.

I wake up the next morning to a blazing 85 degrees and look forward to getting back to the cool beach to have a lovely Father's Day dinner. El Verde and I grab a Dan Brown Audibook and hit the road.


Stay tuned for:

El Verde stats
Best and Worse re-cap
Bright Ideas

and of course, Roadtrip East Coast style, Planes, Trains, Busses, and Boats!!!

Not proof reding this time either!



Advertisement



6th July 2008

Such the writer!!!
Who Noo! I love it and love you!

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb