On the road to Route 66 via the Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
September 15th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hurricane,UT to Williams,AZ(Route 66)


This weather just keeps on shining for us as the sky was again fine and cloudless whenwe started our day in Hurricane.Had to share the dining area at Dayss Inn with a small busload of Japanese.Not sure where they had come from or where they were bound for but they didnt know how to make waffles and stuffed the machine up so had to be content with cereal and toast.No butter so used this spray on stuff that comes in a bottle.We had seen it i n a supermarket and had thought about buying it but had decided against it.You can spread your butter right to the corners which suits me down to a tee!!
We had had a great nights sleep again and so ready for what would work out to be a long day.
Gas is getting cheaper by the day and still way under NZ prices even when you convert the US gallons to litres and the exchange rate.The Yanks think they are hard done by....HA !!
We headed out of town for the Grand Canyon and had a mountain range along side us all the way.Arounbd each turn their was a different view and with the colours and shades etc from the mid morning light photo and video stops were frequent.
Gretchen did some shopping with local Indians at Fredonia and then again at a scenic lookout half an hour later at prices too good to pass by.
The views continued to be stunning and the landscape is just something else.Apart from the noise of occasional passing traffic an erie quiet descends everytime we stopped for photos and video.
We entered Navajo territory.They live in pretty basic houses with outhouses of the composting type we assumed.Their settlements were every few miles and sometimes there were just a few houses and trailers and others there were many of them.
Ther were heaps of trading posts along the road although most didnt have anyone at them as I guess the holiday season being over the Indians probably only come out to sell their wares on the weekend when traffic would be heavier.
A lunchtime stop at Navajo Bridge was interesting as we walked out onto the original one lane bridge built in 1929.The drop to the Colorado River was huge and it must have been hundreds of feet.below was a group heading to the Grand Canyon in a dozen or so rafts.Although they were passing underneath they seemed so far away to get a good picture or video.The colour of the river seemed odd,it was green and a bit hardto make that out.Yet further down in the Canyon itself the river colour was brown.
The Navajo were selling their gas for 20centc a gallon cheaper than the white mans gas station so took advantage of that.
The area known as the Vermillion cliffs was amazing with different peaks and huges boulders on the flat land below that would have been interesting to see come down.This area is 2 billion years old and really nothing much other than the road being put thru in the 1920's has happened since.
Soon it was time to turnoff to the Canyon and we were glad we purchased our pass to the National Parks as we re saving money already with many other places still to visit.At $25 per car which is good for 7 days our $80 pass was a good investment as it is unlimited for a year !!!
Our first stop to view the canyon was just inside the entry and it really is awe inspiring.You walk to the edge of the cliff and the scene is MASSIVE.It really does take ones breath away.The mid afternoon sun was creating interesting shadows at the lower levels of the canyon and this changed even more as the afternoon wore on and we made more stops for pictures and video.One can go on about this wonder of the world,it really is something you should see if you can get the opportunity.We sort of equate it to flyin over Ayers Rock in Australia except this is so much bigger in area.
The only downside at one stop was a bunch of Germans or some such nationality yapping in loud voices and it was clear they werent even talking about the views s they werent looking at the canyon itself.Why people cant just talk in low tones and enjoy the peace of this place I dont know.
We spent a couple of hours driving thru the park and stopping at ll the places possible by car.Some stops you cant enter as they are served by the frequent shuttle buses because of the lack of parking and this park sees 8millon people a year with most in the summer.
We finally decided we had better to head for Wiliams before all the accommodation was gone and it was just as well as one motel wouldnt take the discount voucher an wanted to charge $99,yeah rite..we are Kiwis on a budget.The Rodeway would nt take the voucher either but did give us a decent discount and we were in at $56..much closer to our budget!!
Thankfully there was a Safeway and we carry their discount card so saved heaps with their specials and we had a delicious Chicken Parmagian for dinner as well as topping up the supplies for lunch etc.
Took a walk thru Williams main street which is right on Route 66(also where our motel is) and breathed in the history.Tomorrow we plan to follow the famous route to Kingman and take in the several little towns that years ago before Interstates were important to traveller making the trip across the country
Will be adding photos tonight so check back for a view of what we have seen in the last couple of days



Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb