Happy Holidays/2014 Recap in Photos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
December 14th 2014
Published: December 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Happy Holidays Everyone!!Happy Holidays Everyone!!Happy Holidays Everyone!!

We hope this holiday seasons find you and yours all healthy, happy and enjoying the spirit of the holidays.
YOU CAN CLICK ON ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE IT, THEN GO BACK TO THE BLOG OR GO THROUGH THE PHOTOS (47 TOTAL - CLICK ON THE NUMBERS AT THE BOTTOM OR ARROWS IN TOP CORNERS) IN THAT ENLARGED FORMAT.

I PUT LOTS OF INFORMATION IN THE PHOTO CAPTIONS SO YOU CAN SKIP THE NARRATIVE, JUST LOOK AT THE ENLARGED PHOTOS AND CAPTIONS AND YOU'LL STILL GET MORE INFORMATION THAT YOU EVER WANTED.

TO RETURN TO THE BLOG ENTRY, JUST CLICK YOUR BACK BUTTON OR ON THE NAME OF THE BLOG, BELOW THE NUMBERS ON THE LEFT.



Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Happy New Year Everyone





I'm going to let the photos do the "talking" in this travel blog. We had a great year with many visitors and lots of travel.



In January (15 - 22) Bernard's sister, Claudia, came to Arizona for the first time. Naturally we went to the Grand Canyon, Sedona and many wonderful places around Tucson. Claudia was recovering (beautifully I might add) from knee surgery, so we kept the walking to a minimum.



Mid-February brought Rebecca who we originally met in 2005 while living in
Claudia's Arizona VisitClaudia's Arizona VisitClaudia's Arizona Visit

Bernie's sister Claudia came to Arizona for the first time Jan. 15 - 22. Claudia & B on Mt. Lemmon, near Tucson
the same compound in Pretoria, South Africa. Rebecca is living in D.C., and she and a friend, Nancy, came for a visit. Turns out that Nancy moved into our apartment in the Pretoria compound in 2006. Needless to say, we had MUCH to catch up on and lots in common - fun visit.



The end of February we flew to Lisbon, Portugal to take part in the international humanitarian law moot court/simulation competition we take part in every year, Pictet. As usual it was exhausting yet stimulating - what a fun experience it is for me working in administration and Bernard acting as a juror/judge in the sessions. This year it was held in Sintra, Portugal, which is a delightful town - has three palaces. We spent another week vacationing in Portugal before flying back to the states. (Feb 27 - March 11 in Portugal).



We didn't fly to Tucson, but flew to Washington D.C., to participate in yet another international humanitarian law moot court/simulation competition. This one was the very first American Red Cross competition - the Clara Barton Competition (March 12 - 15). Bernard's mentor and our good friend, Heike, also participated,
Cascais, Portugal -  central plazaCascais, Portugal -  central plazaCascais, Portugal - central plaza

After the Pictet IHL Competition we spent another week in Portugal. Stayed in a converted convent, walked to the ocean, visited lovely, picturesque town, such as Cascais
so it was wonderful to spend time with her in D.C. Bernard and Heike were jurors/judges in the competition. I didn't "work" as the American Red Cross had it beautifully in hand with local staff. I did, however, get to participate in the simulations - you'll see me dressed in fatigues as part of my prisoner of war persona attire. A special bonus of our trip to D.C. was that niece Adrienne drove up from Richmond, VA just to have dinner with us; we were thrilled.



April brought friends, Don & Karen, from Alaska/Florida for a visit. They stopped in Tucson on their way back from the Lavaman Triathlon in Hawaii where they both participated.



Friends from Vermont, John & Alice, were in town for their annual 6 - 8 weeks in the desert; always have great hikes with those two.



April also brought niece Denise and grand-niece McKayla (4/12-19) over Mac's spring/Easter break. We did the Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon, plus the usual around Tucson. JJ overlapped with them (4/18 - 30) their last day in Tucson; we went out for Ethiopian food - what a hoot. JJ was
McKayla and Denise @Grand CanyonMcKayla and Denise @Grand CanyonMcKayla and Denise @Grand Canyon

Grand-niece, Mac, w/mom and our niece, Dee, were with us in Arizona April 12 - 19
returning to Alaska from Cambodia and managed a visit with us.



In May Bernard flew to Lima, Peru to lecture for the ICRC - he has done this annually for many years. Since his "official photographer" didn't accompany him, there are no photos of this trip.



When Bernard returned from Peru, the heat of the Southern Arizona summer was upon us. So, as is our wont, we spent the summer avoiding the heat with trips to California, Colorado, northern Arizona and Utah.



July was spent in California: San Onofre, Ojai, Morro Bay, San Simeon, Big Sur, Carmel and Pacific Grove, Salinas, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and finally Fremont where daughter Christina and her family live. We had a bungalow in Pacific Grove, CA for a week and Chris & family visited us there too.



FYI: For all of our trips this summer we were in our VW pop-up camping van. It doesn't have the full camping package, we decided we didn't want that as we found (when we had the van with the full package) we prefer being outside, and that includes cooking. The refrigerator in
VW Van & Typical campsiteVW Van & Typical campsiteVW Van & Typical campsite

This is Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, but our campsites throughout the summer were very much like this one - spacious with great views.
our old van was practically useless and the sink was the size of a large bowl. We did use the stove a couple of wet morning on our travels in the northern climes and particularly Alaska, but in the Southwest where it is almost always dry, I much prefer to use my camping stove on the picnic table outside. Because of the lack of "camping package" the bed in our current van is much larger than the old van, and uber-comfortable. Our current van does have a folding table, which we occasionally use.



We drove back to Tucson the end of July because Bernard had to fly to Berlin to lecture at the German Red Cross summer school from July 26th to the 31st. I didn't go with him this year, hence the lack of photos.



August & September. We spent about a week in Tucson after Bernard returned from Germany and then headed to Colorado: Pagosa Springs, Durango, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National park, Boulder, Rocky Mountain National Park, Ft. Collins and Steamboat Springs.



From Steamboat Springs we drove thru Grand Junction into Utah and visited: Arches and Canyonlands
Deb and Martin HansenDeb and Martin HansenDeb and Martin Hansen

Had a great weekend hiking in Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah with dear friends Deb & Martin
National Parks, before crossing into Arizona to Jacob's Lake, which is near the northern rim of Grand Canyon National Park.





From Grand Canyon we drove north into Utah to visit St George, Zion National Park and then met friends from Alaska, Deb & Martin Hansen, in Bryce Canyon National Park for a great long weekend of camping and hiking. When we left Deb & Martin on September 15 we drove all the way back to Tucson.



We had two weeks in Tucson, so had just about caught up on everything before heading north again (October 3 - 6) to the Arizona-Utah border to meet my sister and her husband, Mary Jean and Buzz, and camp and hike for a long weekend with them in the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument area. There are some nice slot canyons to hike in and we did have one very nice hike in Wire Pass slot canyon. Unfortunately, it had rained recently so getting into Paria Canyon and some other slot canyons was impossible. Being sensible we opted not to try one of the options some folks we ran into were contemplating: using their blow-up mattresses to
Kathy's sister, Mary Jean, in Wire Pass slot canyonKathy's sister, Mary Jean, in Wire Pass slot canyonKathy's sister, Mary Jean, in Wire Pass slot canyon

Vermillion Cliffs Nat'l Monument, Arizona
float their gear into Paria Canyon as the water was waist deep.



Only had a few days alone in Tucson before Heike from Germany arrived for a two-week visit (October 10 - 24). We did the grand tour: Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Page, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Mesa Verde, Durango and Sedona, and of course the usual around Tucson sights: Sabino Canyon, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tumacacori ruins, San Xavier mission, Mt. Lemmon and probably a few I'm forgetting.



November 7 - 10 found us on the East Coast. We flew into Boston to visit with Bernard's brother, Tom, who is a nursing home. He has Multiple Systems Atrophy, so gradually losing his ability to move at all. His mind is clear and he and Bernard had a nice visit. We had an over-night and wonderful dinner with Janet, Tom's wife. We then drove to Connecticut for a family wedding. Bernard's cousin Mary's daughter, Elizabeth and Jason Keller got married in Pawling, New York, but we stayed just over the border in Connecticut. It was a wonderful gathering; Bernard's sister, Claudia, and her daughter, Denise, were there, plus we got to see all of
JJ, Evan, Christina & Kathy behindJJ, Evan, Christina & Kathy behindJJ, Evan, Christina & Kathy behind

Thanksgiving in Tucson @Ried Park Zoo.
Mary's family and many friends we've made over the years.



The week before Thanksgiving brought JJ at the wheel driving Christina and nine-year old Evan from Fremont, California to Tucson for the holiday. The weather was unseasonably warm, so much time was spent in the pool. We had a super Thanksgiving dinner prepared by us all, and friends from Alaska, Tim & Linda, joined us for the turkey. It was so warm on Thanksgiving we were able to have starters and then dessert on the patio. In fact we sat outside until well after sunset - very nice day.



Christina and Evan **flew back to Fremont the day after Thanksgiving; JJ stayed almost a week longer and then flew to Houston, a stop on her way to Nicaragua and in April to Cambodia again.



**They turned in the Enterprise rental car here in Tucson with no extra fee.



My sister and her husband, Donna & Larry, are visiting from Alaska. The left Alaska in September in their RV and have become vagabonds. They visited friends and family in Washington, California and Arizona. They leave on Sunday headed toward Texas/Louisana where Larry's sister lives - they'll be there for Christmas.



We are in Tucson for the rest of the year. We'll have Christmas dinner here with Tim & Linda and their daughter, Kelsey, visiting from San Fran w/boyfriend Dan.



We hope you all had a wonderful year, and we wish you continued good health, good cheer and a prosperity in the new year. Love, Kathy & Bernie



DON'T FORGET TO LOOK AT THE PHOTOS BELOW (VERY BOTTOM, BELOW: THE AD, OUR PROFILE, THE BLOG OPTIONS, NORTH AMERICA, TRVELBLOG AWARDS, TOP PHOTOS - YES, RIDICULOUS!!) AND GO TO THE OTHER PAGES (CLICK ON 'NEXT' AT BOTTOM OF EACH PAGE) AS THERE ARE MORE PHOTOS (47 TOTAL) AT THE BOTTOMS OF THE PAGES. THERE ARE 3 PAGES OF PHOTOS.




Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Nancy, Rebecca, Bernie & KathyNancy, Rebecca, Bernie & Kathy
Nancy, Rebecca, Bernie & Kathy

A friend from South Africa, Rebecca (lives in DC now), and another friend, Nancy, came to Tucson for a visit in mid-February
Kathy & Bernie in Sintra, PortugalKathy & Bernie in Sintra, Portugal
Kathy & Bernie in Sintra, Portugal

After the week with Pictet we spent another week in Portugal, around Lisbon
Pictet- Katja, B, Amrita, K, Katja, Marjan & TapiwaPictet- Katja, B, Amrita, K, Katja, Marjan & Tapiwa
Pictet- Katja, B, Amrita, K, Katja, Marjan & Tapiwa

March 1 - 8 we were in Sintra, Portugal working with the international humanitarian law moot count/simulation competition, Pictet, that we work with every year. From left to right: Israel, USA, Australia, USA, Germany, Iran & Kenya
Bernard & Heike in D.C.Bernard & Heike in D.C.
Bernard & Heike in D.C.

From Portugal we flew to D.C. to work in the American Red Cross's very first international humanitarian law competition, the Clara Barton Competition. Good friend from Germany, Heike, was a juror/judge in the competition
Bernard & Kathy in D.C.Bernard & Kathy in D.C.
Bernard & Kathy in D.C.

Bernard was a judge in the Clara Barton Competition and I got to play a prisoner of war in one of the simulations, hence the fatigues
Bernard, Kathy, Adrienne & HeikeBernard, Kathy, Adrienne & Heike
Bernard, Kathy, Adrienne & Heike

While in D.C. niece Adrienne drove up from Richmond to have dinner with us - Ethiopian, yum.
Karen & Don In TucsonKaren & Don In Tucson
Karen & Don In Tucson

Friends from Alaska, who now live in Florida, stopped in Tucson on their way home from the Lavaman Triathlon in Hawaii where they both competed.
John & AliceJohn & Alice
John & Alice

Friends from Vermont came to Tucson for their annual 6 - 8 weeks in Tucson - we always have great hikes with them


15th December 2014

Phew!...always enjoy your yearly recap...Merry Chistmas!
3rd January 2015

Christmas from B & K
I feel like I have had a great visit with you and all your friends and family Love to you both Hope our paths cross soon

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb