Tucson AZ - Roswell NM 457 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
February 24th 2014
Published: February 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

IMG_0689IMG_0689IMG_0689

Phil's well packed bag
A significant part of today was spent on Interstate 10. While the road was not that interesting the events were. We started off from Tucson under partly cloudy skies - high bolt gray clouds that provide for interesting light and fortunately no chance of rain. As you can see from the picture my R&R - for mates Rob and Rik were raring to go at 8am this morning and my organized travel bag was ready to be stuffed into the trusty BMW pannier. The big plan starting out was to stop for lunch in Deming NM. Nothing unusual there, excerpt that it was to be the best Indian food in the southwest and served from a truck stop no less. You need something to look forward to when you have a long ride ahead. It was particularly poignant since Rik was coming just for that - 220 miles only to turn around and head back to Phoenix. What a guy.

What we discovered with our respective bikes my BMW K1300 GT, Rob's BMW F700 and Rik;s Yamaha FJR 1300 was a very different rate of burning fuel at speed - and we were going quite fast today. Not quite
P1040730P1040730P1040730

Just to prove we were on motorcycles.
the ton-up boys, but close enough. The 700 is a wonderful duel purpose bike, but burnt that fuel today to the point where we ran out literally under the sign for one mile to the gas. Rather than push I went off with Rik's drinking bottle to get a wee bit of gas. So near and yet so far. With a top up we were off to Deming and that Indian food. I must say if this had not come recommended it was not the kind of place I would just walk into and plunk down my $7 for a full Indian meal. But that is what we did and it did not disappoint. It started with the mango Lasse - always a good leading indicator for Indian food. I include the menu for travelers of the future.

Said goodbye to Rik, and Rob and I motored on. At Las Cruces we headed off the interstate route 10 on to much more interesting terrain and small towns on route 70 through Alamagordo which took us through pine forests that form part of the Lincoln National Forest - a stark contrast to the terrain earlier in the day. Wound
P1040732P1040732P1040732

Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholson
our way in fading light to Roswell for the night. All in all a satisfying day with temperatures perfect in the 60s-70s. A stark contrast of what is to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Unknown.Unknown.
Unknown.

So near and yet so far.
IMG_0690IMG_0690
IMG_0690

An Indian Menu to die for.


26th February 2014

Best Indian Food in the SW?
Wow, the best Indian food in the Southwest? And it's just 7 bucks? We'll definitely have to try that sometime. Thanks for the tip!

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb