March, 2006 in the Sonoran Dessert


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
April 1st 2006
Published: April 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cold and wet for a dayCold and wet for a dayCold and wet for a day

Snow was on the Santa Rita Mountains for a few days until the sun and warmth returned.
How about The Green Valley Senior Olympics ???? Jim and I practiced table tennis daily until we were "pretty good" (we thought). The morning of competition arrived and after watching the life-long experts slam and spin the balls to each other in the singles matches, we realized we were outclassed! So we "chickened out" of the doubles.

In biking, Jim did the 30 mile competitive ride, coming in near the end of about 20 seasoned riders. This was very good considering they were riding racing road bikes as light as a feather and he was on a hybrid.

I, on the otherhand, decided to do the "fun ride". It was kind of fun because I rode along with the competitive riders coming down the hill into town. If I had finished the competitive 30 miler, I would have had a bronze medal because there were only 2 other women on the ride! But they also were on racing bikes. On my comfort bike I would have been lucky to finish. So unless I get a racing bike (highly unlikely) I will bike most days, to keep fit---but stay out of the races.

Jim's brother Bob was here for
Bob, Jim's brother visited us for a weekBob, Jim's brother visited us for a weekBob, Jim's brother visited us for a week

He enjoyed playing golf several times.
a week. All three of us did another bike challenge, that many people do around here. We rode up to Madera Canyon from Green Valley. It is all up hill, about 15 miles to the top. It keeps getting steeper as you go. It was really not as bad as Western Pennsylvania hills, because it is gradual. But we did it on a windy day. This was the first time we had to fight the wind coming down the hill as well as going up, just to stay on the road. The wind took your breath away.

Jim made it almost to the top, up to the steepest part. Bob turned around a little sooner. I made it to Madera Canyon boundary at 11-12 miles, but my back said to stop there.

Jim and I have been house hunting via bicycle. We know almost all of the neighborhoods and houses for sale. House buyers have a much easier time of it this year than last. There are many more houses for sale, and not as many buyers so house hunting is much easier this year.

Spring in the desert arrives in April, so stay tuned for the spring and to find out if we buy a house. We are going to Los Angeles to visit Mara's(Jim's daughter) family in April and the Getty Museum. My daughter Becka and her friend, Tom are also visiting in April.

The weather so far has been ideal(except for a short March cold spell), in the high 60's thru the mid 80's, but very little rain. The sun shines almost all of the time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Illegal aliens from Mexico are aroundIllegal aliens from Mexico are around
Illegal aliens from Mexico are around

They tend to stay out of sight as much as possible to be picked up and taken further north.
Agauva Restaurant at the Indian CasinoAgauva Restaurant at the Indian Casino
Agauva Restaurant at the Indian Casino

Dinner with Bob and Gail, John(taking the picture) and Peggy. John is back in North Dakota putting in the wheat and lentils.


Tot: 0.579s; Tpl: 0.053s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb