Paradise in the Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Supai
June 30th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
"Want to hike & camp in the Grand Canyon?" was what we asked eachother and my mom. "Hell yeah!!" was the obvious response. So we began preparing for the trip. A group of Couchsurfers were planning the trip and had all the details ironed out. Sure, we could have done the trip on our own and for a little cheaper but forking over the dough to them ensured a somewhat hassle free trip. The organizer used the money to pay for the transportation to & from the Canyon, camp fees, mules to carry in supplies, 3 meals a day, and a helicopter ride out. We paid significantly less than an actual tour guide would charge due to the fact that the organizer wasn't doing the trip to make money, but more so to show people the area he loves.

The trip entailed driving to Hualapai Hilltop, hiking to Supai and then further down to the campgrounds. We got a later start than originally planned, heading out on the trailhead at about 7am. Supai is at the far western portion of the Grand Canyon and is not as steep of a hike to reach as if you were hiking in the National Park portion. The first mile or so was down switchbacks but after that it was a fairly easy hike along the canyon floor. The part that makes the hike more moderate is that it is LONG: 8 miles to the village of Supai and another 2 to the campgrounds. Jeff went ahead of mom and I, probably reaching the campgrounds a full 2 hours ahead of us! We took our time hiking, admiring the cliff walls, taking snack breaks and resting. Our packs were fairly light especially considering it was the end of June and we didn't need heavy clothes or even lots of clothes. We carried a lot of water which lightened the load as we drank. And drank. And drank. About 3/4 way into the hike, clouds rolled in and the thunder sounded. Usually I love a good storm, but thunder in the canyon ECHOES. loudly. It was very exciting but frightening at the same time. We reached the village after about 4 hours of hiking--not too shabby for being out of shape (and i'm especially proud of mom! you rock!!). The hardest part of the hike began here! Not only were we tired and the sun
invasive ivyinvasive ivyinvasive ivy

downstream from Mooney Falls
was blazing ahead, but the remaining 2 miles to the campground was in sand. If you've ever walked in sand, you know how difficult it is. Especially with a pack and after 8 miles. The path to the campground weaves through the village allowing a glimpse at local life, and then winds downhill past a new waterfall (yet unnamed), and Havasu Falls. Last year this whole area flooded, completely changing the landscape. The campgrounds were buried. Navajo Falls is no longer. The new falls exist where there used to be just a stream. And Havasu and Mooney Falls flow differently. Upon arriving at the campgrounds, the clouds opened up and dumped what felt like a gajillion gallons of water on us for about a half an hour. We were left drenched and didn't even have our tents set up yet.

Once we found a spot to pitch the tent, our clothes had dried and we settled into our new home for the next 3 nights. Havasu Creek, which is crystal clear, runs directly through the campgrounds and our tent was nestled near the banks. The sound of the babbling water lulled us to sleep. It was so peaceful, we instantly fell in love with the place and decided we are going there again! The remaining days we chatted with our new friends, swam and hiked around. The descent to Mooney Falls was by far the scariest thing I may have ever done! The beginning portion is not bad, but then you go into a steep tunnel that has been blasted through the rocks. Once you've made it through the tunnel, you have to turn around and climb down backwards--sometimes on a makeshift ladder, other times using foot holds in the rock and holding on to either chains or metal rods that have been jammed into the rock. Very sketchy, especially when the rock gets wet and slippery! Braving the fears definitely paid off though, as standing at the bottom of 200ft tall Mooney Falls is spectacular!

The last day we packed up and made the grueling hike uphill, in sand, to the village and awaited our turn in the helicopter. The pilot flew us up and over and around. Seeing the canyon from high above gives a whole other perspective! What a great way to end a fantastic trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

view view
view

from our tent the 1st day before we moved next to the river


20th August 2009

havasu
those pics are so cool and bring back good memories, even though you think I didn't really enjoy myself. I'm glad I went and would go again. Just with different shoes that don't squish my toes, an air mattress for sleeping and JD for me. Maybe next year????

Tot: 0.394s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb