Arizona Winter


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sun City
January 28th 2014
Published: January 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We love hearing from everyone and especially thank the folks in Casa Grande for sending greetings this winter. We are sorry we could not join up with you but are looking forward to next winter.

Not to bore you with "old peoples maladies," but wanting to update everyone with well wishes, Tom's breathing problem has been given a preliminary diagnosis of interstitial lung disease. There is no known reason (casual) for this disease, and no cure. He started home oxygen a few days ago. After a few more tests and more appointments with the lung doctor, we are hoping to put this behind us. So, we are STILL in El Mirage, AZ. And I am STILL forced to play pickleball weekly! (HA!)

Making the most of the winter, we visited the Heard Museum, which showcases the Native American Indians of Arizona. We have tramped through ruins, visited Montezuma's Castle near Cottonwood, hiked Canyon de Chelly National Monument on the Navajo reservation, and so much more. The Heard Museum added another dimension to our understanding of how the Navajos lived before the Spanish came over and tried to "tame the savages" by making them slaves, up to modern times.
KachinasKachinasKachinas

Barry Goldwater Collection

It was most interesting to learn that after WWII, when the "white man" had the GI Bill, the government wanted to provide help for the Indian-Vets to get back on their feet too. They brought artisans here to teach silversmithing. Unfortunately, the price of silver is so high today that the craft is dying out.

That's it for now. Try to stay warm everyone. 80 degrees here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Winter HomeWinter Home
Winter Home

Heard Museum


30th January 2014

Awesome Pictures
Hi Karen and Tom, Great hearing from you and thanks for sharing the pictures. The pottery, blankets and jewelry is absolutely beautiful. Even though I don't own any, everytime I see the turquoise jewelry it brings back memories when I was a kid there. I pray that God brings his healing power to Tom for his lung disease. May God Bless, Joannie
4th February 2014

Turquoise
I have a pair of earrings made by the Zuni Indians. Other than that I don't have any turquoise either. Thanks for keeping Tom in your prayers Joannie.
7th February 2014

Glad you are able to get out and explore. Hope the oxygen gives relief for Tom right away. Our thoughts and prayers are with both of you.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb