Sedona's Red Rocks and Sandstone


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
January 12th 2011
Saved: May 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Cathedral RockCathedral RockCathedral Rock

As you enter Sonda from Scottsdale, this is the most iconic formation here in Sedona
The normal, post Christmas holiday trip to Scottsdale, and often times Sedona, was originally scheduled for Tucson. But with the recent shootings, I would rather comfortably return to Sedona, before a few days in Scottsdale. I need a few days away from the greater Phoenix area, mostly to avoid the crazy crowds attending the National Championship Bowl Game (Oregon and Auburn) in Phoenix this eve.

Sedona is a great place to visit anytime of year. This is my third trip here, and the town never seems to get boring. There are still many things to see, and a few places to eat that need our attention. Most of the highly recommended places are packed with locals and tourists. So, if Sedona allows some harmonic convergence (1987) or a simple alcohol induced stupor, this should be a great place to start this mid-winter trip. I could not imagine walking around Tucson in the aftermath of the terrible tragedy, not to mention their immigration issues. Maybe Sarah Palin will show up and the erstwhile Dick Cheney will take her hunting!

I will not bore you with my previous incantations about the magical red rocks and sandstone formations of Sedona. But one
Lucy and SnoopyLucy and SnoopyLucy and Snoopy

This is a little secret about the red rocks and formations above Sedona
or two tidbits of trivia about Sedona first. The Arizona Diamondbacks major league baseball team has uniforms dominated by a shade of red called "Sedona Red". And Disneyland's Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster is modeled after Grayback Mountain, the tallest in Sedona. Some famous residents here include: Ted Danson, Harpo Winfrey, Diane Ladd, Nick Cage, Sharon Stone, Al Pacino, Senator John McCain, Debbie Reynolds, Jane Russell, and when she was alive, the most famous of all redheads, Lucille Ball.

So, a few days at the Sedona Summit, normally a timeshare place, but often advertising drastic discounts for short stays like ours. The resort is located a few miles west of the greater downtown area, and offers a quiet, almost Sedona like vibe. In other words, not too many tourists and pink jeeps in the area. But I may opt for a non pink jeep tour, helicopter ride, or rappelling down into a slot canyon just north of here. I am sure we will do the obligatory downtown Sedona Stroll, just to window shop.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Love the Red RocksLove the Red Rocks
Love the Red Rocks

I could become very spiritual here
Sedona SunriseSedona Sunrise
Sedona Sunrise

As beautiful as the sunsets


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb