Patagonia Lake State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Nogales
October 24th 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Patagonia LakePatagonia LakePatagonia Lake

This photo was taken from the dam looking east towards to visitor's center, boat launches, and campgrounds.
We arrived at Patagonia Lake State Park (PLSP) after an uneventful trip from Pendleton, Oregon. Day one we drove to Twin Falls, Idaho; day two we drove to Elko, Nevada; day three we intended to go to Laughlin, Nevada, but detoured to Boulder City when the highway was closed due to high winds and blowing dust. Our unexpected stay in Boulder City was very pleasant. We stayed two nights at the Elks Lodge which has nice rv facilities and spent one day exploring the town and seeing Hoover Dam. Our next stop was Casa Grande, Arizona, for two nights, where we washed the motorhome and the car, did laundry, grocery shopped, and generally got ready to spend the next 6 weeks far from all those nice amenities.

We'll be at PLSP until December 1st, volunteering for the Sonoita Creek State Natural Area (SCSNA). We'll "work" 20 hours a week. Our "work" consists of taking birding hikes, driving the pontoon boat, and hiking the 20 miles of natural area trails. Not too difficult! Patagonia Lake is a man-made lake formed by an earthen dam built in 1969. The lake is about 2.5 miles long and quite deep at the dam, getting
Patagonia LakePatagonia LakePatagonia Lake

Another shot of the lake, this one looking southwest.
shallower as you head east towards the mouth of Sonoita Creek which feeds the lake. It's a very popular fishing lake and one of the few lakes in southeast Arizona which allows power boats for water skiing. During the summer months the lake is very crowded with boaters. During the winter months the lake is very popular with birders and is rated one of the best birding areas of the southwest. More on that in a later entry.

We're all settled in now and have a nice site with a view of the lake thru the trees. We've been at "work" for two weeks now and are feeling right at home. The same great rangers to work with, interesting volunteers to get to know, and of course the beautiful scenery which brings us back to this area year after year.

More later...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

SCSNA Entry SCSNA Entry
SCSNA Entry

The entry to the natural area is just outside the boundary of the state park, marked by this sign.
Linda at workLinda at work
Linda at work

The park has several of these vehicles for volunteer use. Lots of fun to drive & ford the creek.
Terry at work.Terry at work.
Terry at work.

Our project last week was to weather seal 2 benches and the signs along the trail. In four hours we completed 3 miles of trail signs - 17 miles to go!


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb