Arizona's floating picnic


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Mesa
May 8th 2010
Published: May 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We was up by 7am, loaded our cool boxes with food and drink and 45 minutes later was on our way to breakfast at a 5 & Diner, this is a typical 50's style diner, the decor is all from the 50's, the music is from the 50's and some of the tables even have their own little juke boxes! We filled ourselves up ready for our little adventure that lay ahead!

Another half hour or so and we arrived at the salt river tubing centre, Liz had started to change her mind, and this reminded me of my Mum a couple of years back who we practically had to drag there yet in the end she loved it. We hired our tubes, jumped on the bus that takes us to the higher elevation and began roping our tubes together so that we stay as a group as we float down. Liz dipped for foot in and realised how cold it was, but we still persuaded her to get in. Sylvia then noticed one of the tubes was deflating, problem was we had already came up on the bus and you can only get your tubes at the bottom, so she said she would go back and meet us at the end point in a few hours, Liz looked on enviously!! Keith was the last to sit in his tube, and perfectly showed how not to get on it, he fell right out, got completely covered by the water yet kept his smile!

We then spent the next 3 hours literally floating on a tube down a river. Now then, there are a few rapids thrown in, and as Keith would shout 'Fanny's up' - English translation? - 'Bottoms up' as the river would become really shallow and faster then usual so there is a chance you can get caught by the rocks. This did happen to us all but only slightly - No bruises! The rest of the time, you lay back, whack on your factor 70 (it was sooo hot) and watch the world go by. Then of course, you crack open a beer or 2 - Well myself, Liz and Keith did. Nige and Andy I hear you ask?..... Back on the white zinfandel, only Nige and Andy could do that floating on a tube down a river!

One set of rapids totally covered Liz, highly amusing I must admit, especially when trying to keep her fag dry, some of the positions her legs were in were amazing I must find out how she does that!

The river flow this year was actually quite quick, only taking us 3 hours to float down, the average time is about 4.5 to 5. Nevertheless it was a good few hours and a good few laughs!

We could see the end beach point in sight and started to paddle ourselves over, as if you miss this point its a loooonnnng walk back! As we very elegantly got out of our tubes a sheriff pulled up asking if we had seen a 53 year old guy in jeans and a denim jacket (we hadn't) as he had been seen falling in and had not been found. We was then told by another group that last weekend when the tubing opened for the season a girl had drowned and a few years back a girl had gone missing and her body never recovered...... Lucky Liz was told this at the end point!!

Liz and Andy really enjoyed it, so all that worrying by Liz for nowt!!! We
Us allUs allUs all

Getting ready to head off down the river
do have photo's but we took a waterproof camera and won't pick them up until tomorrow, if you recheck this blog entry they should be on by Monday 8am (BST).

When we arrived back, we packed ready for our onward journey tomorrow and then had a BBQ using the meat that was left over from the other day. Andy marinated it yesterday and Keith cooked it. It was really nice again and finished off the day nicely. Nige is coming down with a cold so is suffering badly! Hopefully he'll be fine for our 6 hour drive to San Diego!








Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

LizLiz
Liz

All legs and fags! After some rapids
LizLiz
Liz

Note the legs!
How fetchingHow fetching
How fetching

Very feminine - Fag, beer, legs, lotion....
Still strandedStill stranded
Still stranded

Stuck on some really shallow rocks!
Andy Andy
Andy

Just after getting covered from rapids
LizLiz
Liz

Note the legs - It does get better!
LizLiz
Liz

Protecting her food, fags, drinks etc!!
Liz spread-eagled!!Liz spread-eagled!!
Liz spread-eagled!!

How very elegant!
NigeNige
Nige

With his wine
Andy Andy
Andy

Getting caught in the trees
Nige and AndyNige and Andy
Nige and Andy

Pulling us in at the end


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb