It's so hot here, you need to learn to walk on fire


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Jerome
February 20th 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

ChanelleChanelleChanelle

on our way to Paulden
Okay, maybe you don't need to walk on fire to live here, but if you're my crazy family you do it for fun. When the weather is cold. Over a bonfire.

We drove north to stay with family in Paulden, a place a couple hours north of the Phoenix area, that is pretty much in the middle of nowhere but allows for a bonfire & a large group of people without fear of neighbors complaining of noise. Jeff joined all of my mom's cousins as they took their turn at tempting the flames as they hastily walked across the fire numerous times. Crazy if you ask me. I'd rather sit on the sidelines, letting the hot heat lapping at my cold toes and enjoy the calming sounds of the crackling logs. There were quite a few times when I winced at the possibility of someone stumbling into the fire. After all, a little bit of beer may have been involved😉 Luckily (or skillfully), the fire walking commenced without a complete catastrophe though someone who shall be unnamed tripped & stumbled into the edge of the fire. .........mom!

The next morning Jeff & I and our dog Chanelle went to the small town of Jerome. Jerome is an old mining town that is nestled on the cliff line. The streets wind down the side of the mountain. From every street in town you can look out over gorgeous views that entail the red rocks of Sedona and the mountains in Flagstaff. Jerome still carries an old town feel and you quickly get a glimpse of this as you stroll down the streets and read the placards that tell the history of certain buildings and the people that frequented them. Jerome holds lots of history and plenty of chances to make your own history, with its many shops, galleries, bars with live music and restaurants. Jerome is full of charm and a definite "must return to" on our list.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

JeromeJerome
Jerome

jeff & chanelle
JeromeJerome
Jerome

the view from town
JeromeJerome
Jerome

amy & chanelle


22nd July 2009

I have never been to Jerome...guess I'll have to go! BTW...totally digging those shoes! :)

Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb