Now that's Grand


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
June 10th 2017
Published: June 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today was our first rest day. We packed up and headed off before anyone turned up at the office so accommodation last night was free. Our destination today was the Grand Canyon. We had to drive about 200kms to get there but was it worth it!It's hard to put into words the scale of what you are looking at. It even takes you eyes time to adjust to the images you are seeing. From south rim to north rim of the canyon is 10 miles and it's a mile deep. And all of this was created by the Colorado River. The visitor centres were great and provided heaps of information on how the canyon was formed. For instance snow melt that would fall into cracks during the day and then refreeze overnight would help slit the rock apart. Freezing water apparently exerts 1200kg per square centimetre! That's a lot!!!!We left the main visitor centre and travelled 35kms along the rim to the Desert View Tower. This tower was built in the early 1900s for people to come and view the canyon. It had a totally different perspective than the main viewing area we visited in the morning. Here you could see the mighty Colorado winding its way along the canyon floor, with massive plains stretching out for miles at from the top of the canyon and all the different coloured layers from top to bottom. It leaves you totally speechless.We travelled from the canyon to Cameron and noting that it was no more than a cross roads we kept travelling to Tuba City. It's not officially part of Arizona, but instead run by the local Navajo Indians. It's a small town but has plenty of amenities and a good RV park. We had time to get our washing done and clean up before going out for dinner. We noted that there was no alcohol on the menu and in fact that Tuba City is a dry town. Tomorrow we're back on the bikes and looking forward to it. I think we're having fun! .


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb