Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Monument Valley - Grand Canyon

02/07/2010

Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

Fantastic views right beside the trail edge of the South Rim.
As painful as it was when my alarm went off I forced myself to get up and watch the sunset over Monument Valley. Out on my balcony I was still just astounded by the incredible view of the mittens. The sunrise was gorgeous despite being a little cloudy and once above horizon I headed back to bed. A few hours later Hannah and I woke up and got ready for our drive onto the magnificent Grand Canyon. We met the others and spent a couple of hours on the road before we reached the Grand Canyon. Our first stop was at a fantastic lookout tower built right on the edge of the canyon. It’s hard to grasp the size and scale of the Grand Canyon from incredible view right on the edge. We spent some time exploring the lookout tower and taking in the spectacular views. I took quite a few photos however they just don’t do justice to actually being here.

We continued on towards Bright Angel Lodge where we were staying for the night. Parts of this area looked vaguely familiar to both Hannah and I until we realised where we were, bringing memories flooding back from 2007.
Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

The Grand Canyon National Park sign.
We checked in and after searching everywhere for our room we finally found it, nothing special, very basic but the location couldn’t be beat. We grabbed a very quick lunch from the very average cafeteria then once ready we followed a hiking trail which ran beside the rim to the next lookout point. You couldn’t help but stop every few minutes to take in the spectacular views of this beautiful place. For the rest of the afternoon we rode the free shuttle bus to different lookout points across the South Rim. By late afternoon the heat was getting to us and our hunger was returning. We began walking on a similar trail to the one earlier and again stopping regularly to get some fantastic photos of these unbelievable views.

After what seemed an age, we eventually returned to our rooms late in the afternoon for a rest. Since there wasn’t much else around, we met Selina and Ash to have dinner at the Bright Angel Lodge restaurant. We were a little skeptical at first but re-fillable soft drinks and a decent burger with chips quickly changed our minds. Shortly after dinner we headed back to our rooms. To say
Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

The lookout tower with amazing views of the Grand Canyon behind.
our rooms were only 50 meters from Grand Canyon’s South Rim you would have never known, it got so dark here at night. We went to sleep relatively early, walking in 40 degree heat was exhausting.

Accommodation:
Bright Angel Lodge


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

Incredible views from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

More spectacular views from the hiking trail.


Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb