Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hoover Dam is first on the list today. We had signed up for the dam tour, but when we got there, the elevators were broken so no tours running. Bummer! We watched the movie and saw an extra powerpoint about the dam they were running instead of the tours, then walked the top. It was extra impressive because it had super views of the Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge – an awesome structure in and of itself. It is hard to imagine the work that went into building either the dam or the bridge. We drove over the dam into Arizona, but had to turn back and go over it again because that road to the highway is closed now.Now off to the Grand Canyon about 4 hrs away.



Arrived at the Grand Canyon close to 4:00. Our first glimpses were fantastic. Hard to express how huge and deep and just fabulous it is! Of course, the kids all thought it was great fun to make me nervous about the height and steepness of the walls (many without rails I might add!) Very funny, kids! We walked the rim for a bit and then drove the South rim to see other perspectives. We did get a sprinkling of rain and the skies were overcast so the colors were a bit muted, but it was still amazing. We did run out of time to see it all before darkness came so did not really get our fill of this stop. We drove a couple of hours to Lake Powell towards Bryce Canyon, UT to get closer to meeting Audra the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb