OUR SECOND HONEYMOON AT THE GRAND CANYON


Advertisement
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Although it was very early we were both really excited about our trip out to the Canyon. It is a place both of us have always wanted to see. Our pick up was on time and we had one stop to pick another family up at the stratosphere. We then had a nice early morning ride up the strip to the Luxor hotel where we transferred to a bigger bus for the 30 minute journey out to the airstrip. It still shocks us how many people do gamle all through the night and we saw many people still out and about in the city. The transfer was quick and we were soon checking in for the flight. It was about a 45 minute wait before we were called and 12 of us boarded the small aircraft for the 45 minute flight out to the canyon. The sun has just started to rise as we boarded and was illuminating the surrounding rock faces which looked really pretty. As we took off we headed over to the hoover dam. The dam looks big but I think to appreciate it's true size you really have to be on the ground. The flight information told us that there is enough concrete in the dam to pave a dual carriageway right across america east to west. Pretty dam (ha ha) big then wouldnt you say???? From here we sat back and enjoyed the views of the terrain both of us were surprised by the small villages we spotted along the way which are pretty much in the middle of nowhere!! Finally we started our decent and caught our first sight of the canyon we didnt fly over it but we could see the west rim in front of us.

It was still only 7am so it was chilly when we got off which surprised us, one of the guides said they got snow in the winter months which neither of us had thought possible. As everyone on our flight were on different tours Tim and I were segregated off as we were the only ones taking the helicopter tour. We were asked to wait a few minutes for the next flight coming in for the briefing. It was pretty simple watch out for the propller blades and make sure your belt is done up...okay!! All the helicopter seating is done by weight so I was in the front with another lady and Tim was in the back with another guy it turned out they were staff members being given their first opportunity to go down to the canyon floor. The helicopter took off and we headed straight towards the edge of the canyon it was quite exciting if a little nerve racking. Neither of us have been in a heli before and as we swooped over the edge and around into the canyon it was trult exceptional. The sheer height of the canyon walls and the vast spce between them is very impressive. We swooped into the canyon and flwe above the river for a few minutes were soon landing on the canyon floor. As we left the heli (bending neck very low and being blown all over the place) the canyon walls feel liek they loom over you. The sun had yet to rise above the rim so it was quite cold as we walked down to the river edge to catch our boat. the other surprising thing is how brown the river water is, really not what either of us had expected but caused by the continual move of silt from the river sides and bed. Our boat took us up the river and back round to where we had started. It was nice to sit and relax taking in the views even though it was quite cold. It is hard to describe the sheer size of the canyon walls but the sight is breathtaking. After our boat journey we headed back to the heli to take us back to the top of the canyon. Our ride back was longer and we swept through the valley even further and then right up close to the walls of the canyon. A little too close at times but it was great to see all the detail in the eroded rock. The heli was agreat experience and we both really enjoyed it.

From here it was time to catch the bus to the Hualapai Reserve and our lunch so we did just that. Passing the skywalk which we had opted not to do it looked intersting but for $70 we thought it too expensive. Our driver was mexican and had a very strange sense of humour but he kept us entertained on the way. We had been warned about how long we had before our flight back so we decided not to stop off at the reserve and head straight to the restaurant for our dinner. In fact nobody got off at the reserve as everyone was tied to their flight back to Vegas. When we arrived at the restaurant we were suprised to find it was actually just a cafe. The food was shocking like a bad school cafeteria but the view more then made up for that. We sat at a picnic table overlooking the canyon in the early morning sun (it was only 9.30am) we literally had the place to ourselves as everyone had opted to sit in the shade. The view was a bit hazy for our photos but the fact that we got to enjoy it in relative peace and quiet was really good. The tour buses dont start arriving unti after 10.30am. We took along walk around the ridge there were only 3 of us stood taking in the view and the quiet was almost unreal. You could not hear a thing and it was very special. From here we walked over to the other side and could see the Colorado river rishing through the canyon such a great view. By the time we had taken all that in it was time to be heading back to the bus for our flight but we felt we had long enough to appreciate everything. Once off the bus we literally got straight back onto the plane and were soon souring over the landscape once more back to Vegas. I was hoping we would pass the hoover dam again but we took a slightly different course. However the views of the lake we had seen in the morning were much clearer and the landscape even more impressive than it had been in the wee hours. Touching down we booked in for a return bus to the city and waited 10 minutes for that. We were dropped off again at about 12.30 and headed back to the hotel for a afternoon nap so we could enjoy our evening.

Waking early than anticipated by the maid we showered and dressed again and took the bus to downtown Vegas which we had not been to yet. Tim wanted to see the golden nugget casino and the famous illuminated cowboy which you used to see from Vegas all the time. We were also hunting out the welcome to Vegas sign but couldnt find it. We now knwo where we went wrong but at the time hadnt got a clue where to look for it. Anyway we arrived downtown and it looked a bit rough around the edges. We found the main pedestranised area and the golden nugget which Tim pictured with joy!! We found downtown much cheaper probably beacuse they need to lure you away from the mainstrip. We enjoyed a fwe game sin the casino nothing silly I might add, learnt our lesson there. Then we decided to head for one of the advertised buffets which once again was very good value for money. We can understand hwo the larger amercians get the way they do and actually spent alot of our time gobsmacked at the piles of food these peopel were eating. Tim has lost over a stone in weight since the start of the trip and mine is back to where I want it to be so we were very aware of eating sensibly. In all honesty though the buffets are very good food in abundance. Plenty of veg, potatoes, salad and meat no fries or rubbish which was nice to see. After eating we took the bus back ot the south of the strip as we had not seen some of the hotels up there. inparticular I wanted to go back to see the Luxor we had been droppepd of at that morning. Decked out in full egyptian style the hotel is actually shaped like a pyramid. the statues are very impressive and it took us back to the first leg of out trip so many months ago. Quite nostalgic. We had a wonder through MGM trying to find the metro as the bus had been painfully slow in the strip traffic. MGM is so big we actually got lost and drawn to the high stake tables of a minimum of $25 for blackjack. It is unbelievable how much money is in Vegas and how much is undoubtedly lost in Vegas too. Cathcing the metro back to Circus Cirus opposite our hotel we got off where the stop said and some how got ourselves lost again coming out of the Hilton we ended up walking for over 30 minutes through the streets. We have walked so much here that by this point we were both extremely tired and our planned pop
Hotel excaliburHotel excaliburHotel excalibur

The hotels have truly amazing architecture
into the Circus Circus casino got shelved. By the time we had picked our photos up from the 24 hour development place (for some reason our wedding chapel had not gone digital) it was gone midnight and with yet another early start we headed off to bed and said our last goodnight to the glittering skyline of Las Vegas. I actually forgot to put on the last blog that we took in the skyline from the stratosphere top which is the highest point in Vegas. It is well worth doing as there are two rides up there which look pretty immense we did not go on them as we had just eaten and believe me when they hang you over the side of the buidling I felt sick just watching but we got to see the view for free courtesy of our free tickets!!! It was pretty stunning.

We were not sure what to expect from Vegas as we had heard various reports. Some people hated it and other love it. We loved it, so much to do and see and as long as you remind yourself that it does have it's seedy side and rouhg areas too it
Tim is still not impressed with budTim is still not impressed with budTim is still not impressed with bud

Half the can went in the bin
is a very enjoyable place. Time stands still in las Vegas as there are no clocks to be found and of our 4 nights there each night got later as you lose all concept of time. People gamble through the night, it is not uncommon to see blackjack tables heaving at 9am. It will always hold special memories for us too and the fountains of Bellagio will be inprinted on my memory forever. The best thing is we can come back here whenever we choose, maybe next time we'll do those rides, maybe we'll win a fortune but one thing is for sure whatever we do it will be wild.......................



Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb