Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: November 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today is the day we see the Grand Canyon, Kyle told us that in order to understand and get the best affect we would have to blindfolded and when we get to the best viewpoint he would lead us to the edge and we would see it together for the first time instead of seeing random bits as we were driving through. So we tied our jumpers around our heads and set off, an hour later we fianlly got there, who knew how long a hour in the van is when you cant see whats going on, at his point we were itching to get out, we all had to go in a train formation while he led us to the edge, we could hear people laughing and talking about us as we walked past but it was worth it as when we fianlly took our blindfolds off and saw it for the first time, we were stuck by its beauty and pure magnitude, even though in my head i thought it would be a lot redder, we were all amazed. That night after we put up our tents and tried top get rid of the cheekiest ravens ever, it was full moon so the rangers were doing a full moon walk and talk at one of the main view points so we went to that and learnt a bit more about the rocks and the animals that live there which was really interesting before heading back to camp, the next day was a free day where it was up to us what we wanted to do but we were warned that if we wanting to do any hiking to get up early and the mid day sun is a killer so we all had an early night.
The next day, even though we did get up early, by the time we al got ready and got our snacks and water and decided what hike to do we were actually quite late. We were satying in the park itself which was really handy as it offers free environmentally friendly buses to all the major viewpoints and hike starts, as im a follower and not a leader i agreed to the hike that a couple of the rest of them were doing and we we set off, going down was no problems and you could really get to grips with how amaxing the canyon is, so we get to the second pitstop and decide to chill out there for a while as it is unadvised to go to the bottom and up in one day. We played a few hands of cards, chatted and decided to head back up, of course by this time its 12.30 and its boiling, there is not one bit of shade on the way up and it is steep, so steep in places that you had to pull yourself up which of course we didnt notice on the way down, i think this is the hardest thing i have ever done mainly just for the heat factor, on the way up we passed a few guys on their way down who are obvisously professial hikers if there is such a thing and they were seriously worried about me, they made me sit down and forcefed me water and this horribloe snack things as i was so red from the sun and from trying to get up the damn thing but we did and we were all so proud of ourselves, when i got back i looked at the paper to see the hike that we done which i should of looked at before hand as the hike (of which the name i cant remember at the moment but will fill in at a later date) had a warning attached to it, only for professial desert hikers with appropiate equipment while we headed off down there witha deck of cards, one tiny bottle of water each and wearing flip flops, no wonder the english have a bad name abroad - how stupid can you get but hey ho I survived the Grand Canyon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb