Cowboy Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Florence
December 12th 2009
Published: December 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saguaro CactusSaguaro CactusSaguaro Cactus

Sunset at the campground
We continue to enjoy our first winter in Arisona. A visit to Tombstone brought to life the old Western Movies. Wyatt Earp was a real gunslinger. Doc Holladay too. We enjoyed a live re-enactment of the shootout at the OK Coral. Most people don't know that Tombstone was a gold rush city. Everyone was gunning for Wyatt so he moved to Nome, Alaska, a Yukon gold rush town. That is where he died.

From Tombstone we headed back North to check out a couple of Del Webb communities near Tuscon. (Have to come off the road some day.) The Saguaro Cacti are quite dramatic. We also had to be careful on the hiking trails with Princess because "Teddy Bear" cacti jump out and pellet you with needles if you get too near . We will stay around this area until January.

We visited with Janet and Bob in Casa Grande. Their campground had premium pickleball courts. How lucky for us! Tom and Bob both had sports injuries so Janet and I took them on at pickleball. Finally...after weeks of trying, Janet and I whooped them!

We spent a week at Apache Junction so Tom could connect with his
Shootout in TombstoneShootout in TombstoneShootout in Tombstone

The movie "Tombstone" is true to the history here.
cardiologist again. Great News! The medicine he put Tom on has significantly improved the inflamation of his coronary arteries...after just 5 weeks. So we can move on and not worry so much. The campground let us stay an extra day to rest up from the drive to the doctor (275 miles.) Guess what? There was a dust storm we would have been in had the campground not extended our stay. Four people died in it and 13 went to the hospital. Thank you God and thank you Encore campground for making a decision that may have saved our lives.

While in the area we visited Superstition Mountain and learned the mystic behind the Ducth Man's Gold Mine. Happy New Year everyone! We will stay in Casa Grande through the New Year and then head to the RV MECA....Quartzite! Don't know what to expect. It's an adventure!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Supersitition MountainSupersitition Mountain
Supersitition Mountain

Teddy Bear Catus Beware!
Palm Creek ResortPalm Creek Resort
Palm Creek Resort

Between Phoenix and Tuscon


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb