Day 17 Route 66 - Holbrook to Flagstaff 158.8 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning we started off heading east, doubling back to the south end of Petrified Forest so that we could walk the Giant Logs Trail and the Long Logs Trail. Would you believe it, the ranger that we encountered twice yesterday at the Painted Desert entrance station was on the Petrified Forest entrance station this morning. She must really think we are obsessed now??!

We don't know how early you need to start to take advantage of the cool of the morning because it was already stinking hot again by 9.00am. So we sweated our way around the Giant Logs Trail, which features some of the largest and most colourful logs in the park. 'Old Faithful', at the top of the trail, is almost ten feet across the base. Impressive.

The Long Logs Trail has one of the largest concentrations of petrified wood in the park. The trail continues on to Agate House, a small pueblo built with petrified logs, but we decided not to go that far due to the need to start heading west before too much of the day was done. Oh, and maybe a little bit because of the heat! As we walked the trail we saw a bird, a reptile and an insect. The only mammals silly enough to be out in the sun were tourists!!!

After a quick photo stop at the Rock Shop/Museums at the park road/US 180 intersection, we drove back to Holbrook - again - on US 180, but this time we turned left at Hopi Drive to pick up The Mother Road. As we drove along Hopi Drive we were able to photograph Route 66 icons: Jo and Aggie's Café and the Wigwam Motel. Unfortunately we couldn't get in at the Wigwam Motel, even though we contacted them at the beginning of the week, but that didn't stop Bernie from parking the Mustang in front of a wigwam to make it look like we stayed there!! I think they may be a few wigwams down due to refurbishment works as the wigwams we parked in front of looked flakey and faded while the remainder are bright white with red trim.

After a short section on the interstate we turned off to the north to drive through Joseph City before crossing over I-40 to visit the Jackrabbit Trading Post where we rode the rabbit - as you do!! We also bought Bernie a Jackrabbit T-shirt and some playing cards. An expensive stop.

After returning to the interstate for another short spell we exited at Winslow as in 'I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona' from 'Take it Easy' by The Eagles!! And we did it, we stood on THE corner in Winslow, Arizona. Surely that is way cooler than riding the rabbit??? We have passed within 44 miles of Winslow twice before, but just couldn't quite fit it into our itinerary. Fortunately, it is right on Route 66 so we finally made it.

You have to give credit to the folk in Winslow - they have decorated the corner with a mural painted to make it look as if a girl in a flat bed Ford is driving by. They also have a flat bed Ford parked near the corner although Blondie didn't realise that initially - she just thought it was some dumb truck parked there!!!

Bernie asked some fellow tourists to take our photo on the corner and then we returned the favour. Across the street we went into 'Roadworks', a convenient and well-stocked gift shop where we parted with more cash. At the request of our fellow tourists they played the video of 'Take it Easy' while we were in the store.

We went looking for the Valentine's diners mentioned in our EZ 66 Guide. The original-looking red and white one was boarded up and the other one eluded our attempts to locate it. We ate instead at The Brown Mug. Tacos ... again!! We reviewed out photos while we were at lunch and decided that we needed to go back to THE corner for a couple more shots. We probably won't pass by again so had to make the most of the opportunity!! So, right after I took a couple of photos of La Posada Hotel, opposite The Brown Mug, we secured a wide shot with the Ford Mustang, THE corner and the flat bed Ford. Talk about obsessive!

After a bit more interstate driving we pulled off at EXIT 233 to visit the Meteor Crater - the site where a meteorite crashed into the Earth leaving a HUGE (one mile diameter) hole in the desert. Unfortunately we were unable to do the guided rim walk due to the high winds. We were still able to venture out onto the viewing points that have hand rails, etc to prevent you from blowing off the rim into the crater! Who would have thought that you can spend an hour and a half looking at a big hole in the ground???

Back on I-40 we drove past the derelict remains of Two Guns and Twin Arrows before taking EXIT 211 at Winona. Just out of Winona we photographed the old iron bridge with the San Francisco Peaks in the background before enjoying a scenic drive far from the interstate into Flagstaff where we checked in to the Comfort Inn for the next two nights.

The desk clerk recommended Busters for dinner. Not as close as Sizzler, but the meal was worth the extra distance walked. Bernie enjoyed his prime rib and my veal with crabmeat was delicious. Very filling though! Just as well we had the walk back to stimulate our digestion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb