5 Time Zone Switches, 4 Clock Changes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
May 22nd 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Las Vegas early in the morning. Between my alarm going off and us leaving the room, all four of the people in the room got up a little and looked before going straight back to sleep. And apparently they don't really remember us leaving.

The drive wasn't that bad. The clouds and early hour kept the temperature relatively low (although still at an uncomfortable level). We drove into Arizona for 30 miles and went through a mountain pass with absolutely stunning views. Then we entered Utah and therefore changed times for the first of 4 times in the day. Our goal was to go to Zion National Park which is famous for its rock cliffs and one-mile pitch-black tunnel.

The cliffs didn't disappoint. Not only were they steep and in cool patterns, but they were colorful as well. I was in awe looking at them. The tunnel, though, was amazing. It's one mile long through the impenetrable rocks and is pitch black. No lights except through the few boreholes on the side providing some sun. The tunnel is also not big enough for 2-way traffic anymore, so it's turned into a one-way tunnel. Awesome.

We then continued on to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, the relatively undeveloped part. It was a long drive through some pretty boring landscapes, but finally we arrived at the park. It was foggy...and rainy. So I was scared that we wouldn't be able to see anything, but the low clouds actually provided for some outstanding views. Yes, we didn't see what we wanted to see or get to see the mountains 80 miles away, but the fog clung amazingly to the cliffs and was a sight to behold.

The drive from the Grand Canyon to Flagstaff, Arizona, was not exciting. It poured and we were in the desert. Our luck, right? And then I was expecting Flagstaff to be like a real city, but all it did was disappoint. It's confusing and we happened to encounter a lot of weird people in the process. But tomorrow we go on to Albuquerque. So we'll see how the cities compare.

The time zone switches:
Nevada - Pacific Daylight Time (-7)
Arizona - Mountain Standard Time (-7)
Utah - Mountain Daylight Time (-6)
Arizona - Mountain Standard Time (-7)
Navajo Nation - Mountain Daylight Time (-6)
Arizona - Mountain Standard Time (-7)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb