Flagstaff Az. and Viscinity


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
May 3rd 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Century PlantCentury PlantCentury Plant

Along the highway at Slide Rock State Park.
With our home base in Flagstaff, we set out to explore the many attractions in the immediate area. At the top of our list was Sedona. Situated at the southern edge of Oak Creek Canyon, about 20 miles from Flagstaff. The drive itself is very picturesque, the highlight being Slide Rock State Park where hundreds of people were picnicking, bathing or simply relaxing among the rocks and pools. Then Sedona itself, is a beautiful little town, very artsy with many craft shops and galleries. The red rock formations surrounding the town are a stunning backdrop and make it a hugely popular tourist mecca. Many famous people, movie stars et al are either frequent visitors or have a residence in Sedona.
Our next excursion was to Sunset Crater and Wupakti National Monument. The two are very close to each other and both are only a few miles east of Flagstaff. The Crater is interesting because of black cinders and chunks of lava which litter the base of what was once a very powerful volcano, but personally, I was much more intrigued by pueblo ruins which can be visited at Wupakti. The area was inhabited by the Anasazi and Sinagua during the 12th and13th centuries. It is believed that the present day Hopi are their descendants. We spent the afternoon exploring these ruins, it was almost eerie, we were the only visitors at that particular time and as we were leaving in late afternoon, we could hear the coyotes start to yip and howl! I thought it was neat!
Another special trek was to the top Mount Humphreys, which is the highest peak in Arizona at 12 700 feet. Flagstaff itself is at an altitude of 7000 feet. It is a 16 mile drive to the ski area. From there, we took a cable car to the summit. I was sooo scared on the way up, I didn't want to take it back down thinking it would be even worse facing the wide open spaces. but after finding there was no other way, we got back on. But then, to my surprise, it turned out my fears were unfounded (of course) and I really enjoyed the descent. After some refreshment, we proceeded up a hiking trail, which eventually takes you back up to the summit. We didn't go that far, one because it was already late in the day and two because we
Cathedral RockCathedral RockCathedral Rock

One of the many red rock formations in Sedona.
were not shod or equipped for the more arduous climb that awaited us farther up the mountain. But we did get up high enough to come across an area of snow that had not yet melted from the previous winter. We got back down to the ski lodge just as it was getteing dark, we could barely see the trail for the last few hundred feet through the forest.
Finally, on the last week of our stay, we returned our rented vehicle and concentrated on visiting Flagstaff itself. We went to the Lowell Observatory, founded in 1884 by Percival Lowell. Its giant telescopes are trained on the heavens. We were told that the choice of this particular site was because of the fact that there are very few large centers in the area and therefore no city lights interfere with the viewing of the night sky.
We walked to the University of Northern Arizona and to The Riordan Mansion, a historical estate, the former home of a wealthy family of lumber barons, which were very influential in the founding of the city. Then ... we went to the zoo!! Not what you think, the zoo is a nightclub, it is
Sedona Sedona Sedona

Red rocks and desertlike vegetation outside of Sedona.
situated on route 66, just ouside of town. It is listed in the National Register of Historic places. It was built in 1931 its walls are adorned with numerous native american artifacts and with many mounted heads of deer, elk, bears and other animals, hence the nickname "The Zoo". It hosts a country music band and you haven't danced a two-step until you've sashayed around the huge dance floor at the Museum Club (Which is its real name.)
We've been back to Flagstaff twice since then, but we were just passing through. We did spend the night both times at the excellent KOA campground just east of town. Our train trip and the three weeks we spent in Northern Arizona are among our most treasured travel memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

On top of the WorldOn top of the World
On top of the World

At the summit of Mt Humphreys, and I was wondering how we would get down!
The TrailheadThe Trailhead
The Trailhead

The entrance to the trail that winds up to the summit.
Snow in JulySnow in July
Snow in July

A patch of unmelted snow on Humphrey's flank.
Wupakti National MonumentWupakti National Monument
Wupakti National Monument

Pueblo ruins in Wupakti National Monument.
Wupakti PuebloWupakti Pueblo
Wupakti Pueblo

The big house.
The Ball CourtThe Ball Court
The Ball Court

Walled circle, believed to have been used for "ball" games.
FlagstaffFlagstaff
Flagstaff

A small green area at the western end of town.
FlagstaffFlagstaff
Flagstaff

Downtown street.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb