Winter continues...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Casa Grande
February 5th 2010
Published: February 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We continue to bounce around southern California and Arizona... using our Western Horizon Resorts (WHR) membership. WHR is one of those buy-in campground memberships where you pay a big chunk of money up front then can camp for only $3.00 per night at member resorts. The "catch" is that we can only stay at a resort for 2 weeks (3 weeks off season) then we have to go out of the system for at least one week before we can go into another WHR resort. We don't enjoy that aspect of the membership...keeps us on the move but we don't go far or see anything new and we don't stay put long enough to really get to know anyone. So... no new territory and not much travel for this blog. But I'll bring it up to date.....

12/14/2009 to 12/21/2009: Salome, Arizona - a very small town about 60 miles west of Phoenix. Nothing here except a few rv parks, one small grocery store, and two golf courses. The county course (Greasewood) is a true desert course - no fairways, just desert between the tee box and the green. Fun to play and challenging in a whole new way. There's
Quartzsite CampingQuartzsite CampingQuartzsite Camping

By the end of the week, this entire area was filled in with motorhomes.
also a championship 18 hole course. WEeather was great - sunny, clear skies with lows about 40 degrees and highs about 60 degrees. Nice :-}

12/21/2009 to 01/11/2010: Casa Grande, Arizona - probably our favorite area for winter stays because of the affordable golf - 6 courses within 10 miles of our resort. Weather not very nice, though, so we didn't get any golf in until the last day of the year when we drove north to the Village of Laveen on the southwest edge of Phoenix, where we met friends Bob & Maxine. We played 18 holes then went to their house to welcome 2010. Had a nice dinner then played Mexican Train until almost midnight. Very nice to be with friends.

01/11/2010 to 01/17/2010: Quartzsite, Arizona - camping in the desert with other like-minded Newmar owners. By the time the big rv show was in full swing, there were more than 50 Newmar motorhomes parked together. The desert is dotted with rv's for miles around. It's estimated that as many as 100,000 rv's descend on this small town of under 2000 people. Hundreds of rv's for sale, hundreds of vendors selling everything. There's a big gem
QuartzsiteQuartzsiteQuartzsite

Looking south from town - rv's as far as you can see.
& mineral show and the rv show. Windy, dusty, crowded, no water, electricity, or sewer, but still worth doing... once!

01/17/2010 to 01/25/2010: Indio, California - spent one week here for the Bob Hope Classic Golf Tournament, volunteering as walking scorers at the LaQuinta course. Weather was beautiful when we first arrived but deteriorated rapidly. The first day of the tournament (Wednesday) Terry scored for Scott Ver Plank. The rain held off until after play was complete, but once it started, it rained all night and then all day Thursday. No golf. Friday was better but still a few good showers. Only the pros played so we didn't score. Saturday and Sunday were gorgeous; perfect days to walk the golf course. Clear skies, snow topped mountains, palm trees, flowers in bloom. Saturday Terry scored for Brendan DeJong and Linda scored for Alex Prugh. Sunday Terry scored for Derek Lamely and Linda for Justin Bolli. Great fun.

01/25/2010 - the present: Casa Grande, Arizona - We'll be in here until March 15th... more to follow...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Quartzsite Vendor AreaQuartzsite Vendor Area
Quartzsite Vendor Area

Can you see the HUGE tent in the middle left?
IndioIndio
Indio

This is the entrance to our rv resort. So pretty with the bougainvilla in bloom.
IndioIndio
Indio

Snow capped mountains in the background & palm trees in the foreground. What a combination!
Bob Hope ClassicBob Hope Classic
Bob Hope Classic

Linda all geared up. Pro Alex Prugh in the red shirt.
Bob Hope ClassicBob Hope Classic
Bob Hope Classic

Terry ready to score for Scott VerPlank (second from left)


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb