The Train to Perkinsville


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Camp Verde
October 29th 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Engine CarsEngine CarsEngine Cars

Verde Canyon Raliroad
There is a train trip on the Verde Canyon Railroad that I have been wanting to check out for a while. It's just a small 20 min trip up one way, and back the same way. We finally got some time and motivation to go try it out a few weeks ago. They have a special "Ales on Rails" all through the month of October to celebrate Oktoberfest, and we managed to get reservations for the last weekend. This 4 hour trip leaves out of Clarksville, which is a small town about 10 minutes north of Jerome on highway 89 and 2 hours north of Phoenix. It meanders up through the Verde Canyon along the Verde River to Perkinsville, an old abandoned ghost town. There, the engines switch to the other side of the train and you make your way back the way you came. It may sound a little boring, but both Jeremy and I were pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was. We rode in the first class car where they offered one free bottle of water and snacks. There was also a pay-as-you-go bar. The train has the traditional passenger cars with large panoramic windows, but it also offered open-air cars that you can walk out to and take in the fresh air and sounds of nature. The weather was absolutely perfect when we went...warm enough to not need a jacket, but cool enough to be able to stand in the sun without getting warm. It was a nice relaxing trip that I am sure we will take again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb