Radiance Cruise July 27-August 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 3rd 2012
Published: August 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We boarded the gorgeous Radiance of the Seas Friday, July 27th. Once onboard we ate lunch then headed to our room which was just perfect. We had a D1 room in the middle of the hump. The rest of the afternoon we explored the ship and Dylin decided to swim. It was funny to watch her swim with the snow covered mountains in the background. The weather was so nice it was actually about 60 degrees. By set-sail we were marveling in the beauty of this mostly glass ship. The ship was built for Alaska and all the glass, including glass elevators that face the water, means you never miss the beautiful views.

July 28th was a "sea-day" but the ship traveled into the Hubbard Glacier. It was a spectacular experience to see this huge glacier and watch it calve. The captain had to enter the glacier area very slowly because there were huge icebergs everywhere around us. We couldn't help singing the song from Titanic as we watched our ship weave in and out of potentially dangerous ice! We started out on the front deck of the ship but it was about 45 degrees so we decided to watch from our balcony with hot chocolate. We also watched seals on the floating icebergs. The glacier calved 3-4 times and a couple were spectacular. When a glacier calves it sounds like thunder about 5 seconds after you see the ice fall.

More coming....don't forget there are more pictures below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb