Hyder, AK to Smithers, B. C.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
September 9th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, September 9, 2007 First thing in the morning we headed to Fish Creek Bear Viewing area. No bears had visited the area so we decided to go on to Salmon Glacier about 21 miles up the road from Fish Creek. This glacier is actually in British Columbia. It runs along an old mining road. We were told it was a “must see” no matter how many other glaciers we’d seen because you can look down on this glacier (as opposed to viewing from the front or side). So we traversed yet another pot holed gravel road. Frank said it wasn’t that bad. I disagreed. Anyway, we drove it and we saw the glacier. Frank thought it was great. I thought it was nice!
We got back to Fish Creek about noon and a bear was fishing; the same bear we saw yesterday. It was neat to watch her. She ate 3 fish in probably 15 minutes. We got lots of photos/video.
By 2:00 pm we were back on the road through British Columbia. We were glad we had stopped at Hyder, even though it was about 60 miles out of the way. The drive was exceptionally pretty (Hyder itself has personality, but isn’t pretty - - muddy, potholed roads.) and the bear watching was great. We saw 2 more bears on the Cassiar Highway. We reached the main road going east about 4:30 pm and stopped at Smithers B.C. for the night. We were parked in the Safeway Parking lot (they had a sign up inviting RV's to spend the night) and I stepped outside and a gentleman was there looking at CT and told me "she's in great shape". He had parked his 1977 Chinook next to ours and the 3 of us spent 45 minutes talking about the qualities of the Chinook RV. He couldn't believe they were out of business.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Salmon GlacierSalmon Glacier
Salmon Glacier

The melt water Lake and ice bergs from the glacier. Can you see the ice cave?
Cozy Turtle in Front of Bear GlacierCozy Turtle in Front of Bear Glacier
Cozy Turtle in Front of Bear Glacier

We're leaving Hyder (and Alaska) behind. Someone needs to give CT a bath!!


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb