Alaska Ferry Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saturday July 7, 2007 We were scheduled to leave Pr. Rupert on the ferry at 5:45 pm. We had to be there 3 hours before departure. The morning was a “get-ready” time; packing, organizing snacks, shower etc. We left the campground at 11:00 am and really didn’t have anywhere to go so we decided to check out the ferry terminal, which turned out to be closed. But, there was all ready a line of cars and RV’s. Not having anything better to do, we got in line tool. I cooked lunch, we worked on the computer and read. That’s the good thing about an RV, waiting isn’t boring.
During the afternoon CT was measured, we got our tickets and we moved closer to the entrance. We went through Customs at 5:00 pm and at 6:00 we were still waiting to load. It’s amazing how the ferry staff knows how to load the vehicles so everyone fits. They not only have to know the size, but the destination (our ferry, the Matanuska, had five stops scheduled). Pr. Rupert always has a large number of vehicles board. We got underway by 7:30 pm (6:30 pm Alaska time).
When we left Pr. Rupert we had 203 passengers. It wasn’t crowded at all. Since we were going to be on board for over 24 hours, we had decided to get a berth - - good idea. It had a huge bathroom by CT Standards!!
The Matanuska is a functional unassuming ship. It has an observation lounge for watching scenery, a theatre lounge and a cafeteria. Many people who travel on the ferry don’t get a berth. They bring sleeping bags and sleep on the upper deck which is open but heated. It wouldn’t be my cup of tea, the temperature is a bit nippy, the wind is sharp and it rains a lot and you have no where to park your stuff.
We watched the scenery for awhile. The billowy clouds, the mist over the passing low mountains and the silvery color gave the scene a soft look.
We went down to our berth about 9:30 pm. We could only go down to the vehicle deck and walk the boys when the ship was in port. There was one stop scheduled for 12:00 am. I told Frank I wanted to check on the dogs at that time, figuring I’d be awake. Actually, I fell asleep and didn’t hear the port call, but Frank got up and walked the dogs. They did all right.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 100; dbt: 0.1169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb