Just bobbing around in a fjord


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 24th 2019
Published: June 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today we spent the whole day in Misty Fjords, or Rudyerd Bay, to be precise! We had elected not to do any shore excursions, so we decided to be leisurely and eat breakfast in the main restaurant.

After breakfast we returned to our suite and Tom made a start on an assignment he has to do for uni while I relaxed and made a start of one of the ebooks I’d borrowed from Penrith Library.

Our ship is spending the day in.Rudyerd Bay, where there is no dock and the fjord is too deep to anchor. We are just kept in position by minor adjustments made by the engines. Our ship has some of the equipment normally found on their expedition ships - zodiacs, canoes and kayaks. There is also a float plane doing sightseeing over Misty Fjords. We had excursions involving zodiacs and float planes in the last few days so were not worried about participating. The canoes were towed over to the mouth of a stream by a zodiac where people then got in and went canoeing in the wilderness.

Lunch was a special typical Alaskan fare lunch put on in Dolce Vita, a lovely large lounge midships. We also played a special musical trivia game involving the performers where they had to present some of the songs whilst gargling, whistling, with tape over their mouth, with a mouth full of orange segments etc. it was quite entertaining. After lunch we went for walks around deck 11, 10 and 9, which was very pleasant, before returning to more reading/Diploma work in our suite.

Tonight’s dinner was in La Dame, a restaurant that you normally have to pay extra for, but because of that last cruise that missed so many ports, we were being given a complimentary dinner. It is a very small French restaurant which was very nice. Tom started with mushroom soup, I had foie gras, then we both had lemon sorbet and we both had beef bouguinonne followed by a grand marnier souffle. I found the beef was pretty much similar to the one I do.

After dinner we went to the show in the lounge which was wonderful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb