Wasilla, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wasilla
August 1st 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful but Expensive TomatoesBeautiful but Expensive TomatoesBeautiful but Expensive Tomatoes

At the Wasilla Farmer's market
Wednesday August 1, 2007 Today we went out for breakfast; eggs, pancakes and sausage. What a treat!We visited the Iditarod Headquarters and took a “summer” ride on a carriage pulled by a dog team. It was bumpier than snow -- - but we got the idea. I was surprised how fast they went. During the race they average 12 miles per hour.
Two people in Wasilla were instrumental in establishing the Iditarod race. The headquarters is actually on the property of the man who established the race. The mushers who run the race are really dog people and can own well over 75 dogs. Surprisingly, the dogs don’t have a “husky” physique, but are lean. The leaders have to be very enthusiastic and rearing to go!
We stopped at the Wasilla Museum and then strolled through their Farmer’s Market. If you think Hanover tomatoes are expensive; Wasilla tomatoes were $4.99 a pound! They’re grown in a greenhouse.
The afternoon - - - laundry time!
Tomorrow we go to Hatcher Pass Historical Gold Mining Area, not far from Wasilla.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Frank with the Dogs.Frank with the Dogs.
Frank with the Dogs.

At the Iditarod Headquarters.
Sled Dog Ride in a CartSled Dog Ride in a Cart
Sled Dog Ride in a Cart

This is what they do when there's no snow.


Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb