Wasilla, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wasilla
July 31st 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday July 31, 2007
The day was cloudy so we couldn’t see much of the mountains as we headed into Central Alaska. We arrived in Wasilla around noon. Wasilla and neighboring Palmer are part of the agricultural area of Alaska. During the depression Roosevelt sent about 200 families from dustbowl states to pioneer and farm this area as an experiment. The undertaking was semi- successful since many families didn’t stay, but the area did become an important farming region. I was looking for watermelon and tomatoes - - not here! They specialize in cool weather crops (what else?) like cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, cucumbers and rhubarb. And of course the flowers are beautiful.
We found a campground and then did errands - - haircut for me, groceries and other supplies, oil change and even made an appointment for the dogs to be groomed on Thursday. We brought the clippers with us, but realize it would be an extensive undertaking in our circumstances (we were very optimistic when we packed).
Palmer and Wasilla are around 12 miles apart and have a combined population of about 10,000 (which is BIG for AK). It has all the conveniences of stores, restaurants and services, but still
Alaska ProduceAlaska ProduceAlaska Produce

Vegetables from Palmer, AK
a small town atmosphere. I’m sure the traffic isn’t as bad as Anchorage either. We thought this would be a good place to resupply.
The campground where we are staying sponsored a grilled salmon dinner in the evening and we got to taste our first Alaska caught salmon. It was delicious. They served sockeye and king - - both were good. Frank even went back for seconds and he’s not a fish lover. We enjoyed the dinner and talking to fellow RVer’s.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Alaska ProduceAlaska Produce
Alaska Produce

Vegetables from Palmer, AK
Alaska ProduceAlaska Produce
Alaska Produce

Vegetables from Palmer, AK
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

At the Palmer display garden


Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 102; dbt: 0.2076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb