Day 14 (July 11, 2008) Valdez well worth the ride


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 12th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Construction delays from Anchorage to ValdezConstruction delays from Anchorage to ValdezConstruction delays from Anchorage to Valdez

There was about a five mile stretch of highway from Anchorage to Valdez that was under major construction. You have to wait up to 30 minutes to have a "follow me" car escort you across the area...and it is slippery when you only have two wheels.
Good evening,

If any of you took a look at my itinerary, you will see that Valdez was not on it. However, I met a couple of sisters at Mile Zero in Dawson Creek who were going to Valdez and they said that I had better not miss this area since I was so close. Well, that is where I am at tonight.

But first, I left Anchorage at 7:30 and did I mention it was raining! Sorry about sounding like a broken record. I am used to it by now.

As usual the drive was great even though it was raining and then misty. Road construction held us up for about 20 minutes, but it is just a time when you get out of your vehicle and start to visit with everyone and ask where they are from. And with the high cost of gas, I am amazed at all the trailers, 5th wheel and motorhomes on the road.

The real treat though came when I was about 25 miles from Valdez as I was climbing a steep slope to Thompson Pass and it kept getting colder and colder until my temp gage registers around 45
Matanuska Glacier near Tahneta PassMatanuska Glacier near Tahneta PassMatanuska Glacier near Tahneta Pass

There are so many glaciers in Alaska that after awhile one starts to look like the other, however, glaciers are so powerful and deliberate in their movement...ever so slow.
degrees. We were in the clouds on this jaunt. Coming down was just as fun with the tight turns and what more could a biker ask for?

And then Valdez came into view and coupled with the harbor and calmness, well, it was worth the 125 miles out of the way. I tried to get close to the Trans Alaska pipeline terminal but there were all kinds of threatening signs to not go any closer...so I just got a picture from across the harbor.

Seagulls are everywhere and the constant high pitch scream they make. Fish charters and commercial boats are everywhere. I bought 20 pounds of Alaska Salmon (Red) and had it sent home. Fresh catch that day and all for $140.00 Not to bad though. It was $7.00 per pound. Chris, now put it in the freezer and don't eat all of it before we get home!

On this blog I am going to let the photos tell the story. Tomorrow I will make my way to Tok and then to Haines to catch a ferry for Bellingham on Monday.

Somewhere in there I will get a message that our daughter Heidi, will deliver
Worthington Glacier near ValdezWorthington Glacier near ValdezWorthington Glacier near Valdez

This glacier is about 10 miles from Valdez. It is really one glacier that splits as it advances down the mountain.
our second grandaughter, Lucy Mae, into this world to join her sister Riley Jo. Until then, have a great day.

Rob



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Erie silence at 3,000 feetErie silence at 3,000 feet
Erie silence at 3,000 feet

Once again the low lying cloud cover creates a misty picture of serenity at 3,000 feet. I was hoping to see a bear or moose foraging in the thicket but no such luck.
Gorge near Thompson PassGorge near Thompson Pass
Gorge near Thompson Pass

I just came off Thompson Pass going down into Valdez when I came across this high towering gorge that had numerous waterfalls. The Pass is about 3,000 feet and is part of the old Gold Rush trail into the Valdez area.
Eagles, Eagles, EaglesEagles, Eagles, Eagles
Eagles, Eagles, Eagles

I caught this eagle near the Trans Alaska Terminal near Valdez. She was nestled in the tree grooming herself after gorging on Salmon. I counted at least 5 eagles in the area.
Walking on Water or Salmon Fishing?Walking on Water or Salmon Fishing?
Walking on Water or Salmon Fishing?

At first look I thought this fisherman was walking on water until I saw a pole in his hand. He must be a local to fish like that!
Valdez Harbor w/ lone fishermanValdez Harbor w/ lone fisherman
Valdez Harbor w/ lone fisherman

I had to throw this shot in of the lone fisherman. It think it's a great photo if I say so myself.
Morning Mist VesselMorning Mist Vessel
Morning Mist Vessel

It was humorous to see the different names of the fishing boats...kinda like vanity license plates?
Halibut and Red SnapperHalibut and Red Snapper
Halibut and Red Snapper

All evening there were fishing charter boats coming in with the catch. Here one fisherman caught a 106 pound Hakibut and his son also caught a 106 pound halibut. He was from Fairbanks and comes down fishing once a year. He figured he caught over $3000 worth of fish!
Valdez Harbor with serene backgroundValdez Harbor with serene background
Valdez Harbor with serene background

The picture is worth a thousand words, but I wish you could hear the seagulls and artic terns in the background making their sqawking noise. Boats are running and the smell of fish is everywhere...even in my tent as I type this entry.
Salmon boatSalmon boat
Salmon boat

All evening there were salmon boats...charter and commercial...coming into port to offload their catch. The cost for a 12 hour charter was around $280.00.
Valdez Harbor fishing boatsValdez Harbor fishing boats
Valdez Harbor fishing boats

Boats and more boats. Some people spend their summer here and head home for the winter and others live year round. The harbor does not freeze and there are supertankers that come in all the time to load "black gold" (oil) into their folds to power America.
Valdez Harbor SignValdez Harbor Sign
Valdez Harbor Sign

Just another sign but it also proves I was here in Valdez.
What a place to pitch a tentWhat a place to pitch a tent
What a place to pitch a tent

This is my view from my tent on Valdez harbor...and I'm sure it will get down into the 40s tonight so I better put on those long johns. The campground is called the Sea Otter Campground...haven't seen one yet.


12th July 2008

wow! wow!
Rob, you have to enter your photos in contests. Incredible...
13th July 2008

Road condidtions
Hi, Rob after seeing the road conditions I understand why the Goldwing looked like a dirt bike in Anchorage. If you make it to TN let me know so we can take a ride together. Ride Safe and continue to enjoy the experience.
13th July 2008

Beautiful Country
It has been wonderful sharing your adventures in Alaska. Dorothy W. (my sister) gave me your Blog info. Sorry you were not able to see Mt. McKinley, but keep your fingers crossed, it may happen yet. We had to stop for moose in the road when we went.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb