Ninilchik and Doing a Little Fishing


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ninilchik
June 9th 2016
Published: June 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

First off, this 22 hours of daylight thing is really hard on us old folks. The sun is still up when you go to bed and already shining when you wake up. Even when it’s “dark” for two hours it’s not really dark, just twilight, and there are 12 more days until the longest day of the year. No matter how much we blackout our little RV bedroom the light still creeps in and it wreaks havoc on your internal clock. You sleep because you’re tired, not because its night, but it does leave more daytime for fishing and this stop in Ninilchik was all about the fishing. Our first scheduled trip was for halibut and we drew a boat with Capt. Brian, the owner and operator of Afishunt Charters. Halibut fishing here is just like flounder fishing on the bay, except everything is bigger. Five pound weights to get to the bottom and stay there against the tide, large hooks for those big halibut mouths, and big bait for big fish. The limit was two but one had to be under 30 inches and we both got our “under” fairly early in the trip. After that it was fishing for that big “over”. Michelle and I both caught and released 6 more fish until it got late in the trip and the tide started to really rip. Michelle took another nice fish and I kept fishing right up until the end trying for that barn-door halibut but settling for another 30 incher as even the five pound weight would no longer stay on the bottom. It was great fun on a clear calm day with an outstanding crew and six other avid fisherpersons. Even though we didn’t get that 100 lb. fish just being on a halibut trip in the famous Cook Inlet, gazing at the volcanos, sharing our fish stories with locals and vacationers from the lower 48 was a fantastic experience. I would love to go out fishing with Brian again but I’m not sure there is time or budget for that. Besides, there are Salmon to catch. Our timing was good for salmon even though we missed the early first-run Kings we caught the tail end of the run and there was good action on the local rivers. We hooked a few but failed to land them with one really big fish rolling up on my line, breaking off and breaking my heart. We scheduled a Drift Boat trip on the Kasilof River but Michelle decided an open river boat with no cover or facilities and prediction of rain most of the day was not her idea of fun so she took the day off and I went fishing. It ended up being good fishing weather, overcast with light winds, and I had a great day landing two good fat King Salmon. Drifting the river mainly consisted of our expert Afishunt guide Bryan working his tail off back paddling against the river flow keeping the lures in the best fishing holes as we wandered down among the other drift boats. It gets exciting when you hook one of these fish as they really like to run, testing the ability of the oarsmen-guide and fishermen to work together and get the fish up to the net. There was some rain later in the day but by that time I was so thrilled with my fishing trip that it didn’t really matter. We used our other few days in the Old Russian town of Ninilchik to do some sightseeing, taking advantage of the clear weather to get some perfect photos around the old village and of the Redoubt and Iliamna volcanos on the other side of Cook Inlet. This has been a great week, and thanks to Afishunt Charters and Alaskan Angler RV Park, we got just what we came for. Now we leave the sleepy little fishing village for the tourist mecca of Homer, a short trip for us of just over an hour. Who knows, we might even run into the Kilcher’s as we understand they come to town pretty often.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



9th June 2016

Thanks for the updates!
Thanks for sharing your trip. I've enjoyed the rolling narration and the spectacular photos.
9th June 2016

Thanks for the comment
So glad you are enjoying the blog. I have fun putting it together and selecting the photos. Its made me a much better photographer. As you can tell we are having a wonderful time and we wouldn't change a thing. We arrived in Homer this afternoon and we have a beautiful view from our RV park. Looking forward to a night out tonight for crab and suds. Updates next week.
10th June 2016

Making me hungry
Ray, Michelle, Seems like you have enough day light to do lots of fishing. Catching some big ones. You can only eat so much fish in a week, hope you have a vacuum sealer. Sleeping with the big light on is not easy no matter how much you try to make it dark. Reminds me of KEF, ADAK, Eielson, Anchorage. More great pictures. Living the dream, keep having fun. Doc
10th June 2016

Expensive to Ship
We looked into shipping some fish home and the costs were outrageous. Our little RV freezer is now full so we need to eat more fish and fast. Not enough room for ice cream and that is criminal.
10th June 2016

Pictures
Really stunning pictures!! Alaska is on our bucket list. ..
10th June 2016

Don't wait
Come now while you can enjoy Alaska and please don't try to do this in a week, it can't be done. There is just too much to see and experience. Often times the pictures don't really do it justice, it is such a vast and open land that we are often awestricken by the shear magnitude of the views.
10th June 2016

You've got some serious bragging rights now!
You captured your experience in words so well I felt like I was there with you. I could smell the ocean and feel the tug of the current and held my held my breath when you described just missing landing a catch. (Is that how you say it? I don't know.) I don't know anything about fishing, but your joy is so infectious I feel like I've been on a fishing trip. You should submit this blog for publication. The photos are fabulous!
10th June 2016

Thanks for the comment
So glad you are enjoying the blogs. I really enjoy putting the words and pictures together to tell the story of our travels. I hope everyone feels they are sharing in our adventure in a small but important way. It is also our way of staying in touch. It's all here on the internet so I guess in a way it is already published.

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb