Misty Fjords


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
June 7th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Toady, we took a catamaran tour of the 2.1 million-acre Misty Fjords National Monument Wilderness Area.

Misty Fjords was established in 1980 (Jimmy Carter?) by the passage of the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act. The wilderness contains three saltwater fjords, waterfalls, granite cliffs, glaciated valleys and active glaciers. There are 150 rustic cabins throught the Tongass Natl forest with several cabins withing the Fjords. These rent for $25-50 per night. They provide wooden bunks to sleep 2-15 people. You have to hike, paddle or hire a charter boat/plane to take you there. It would be a fun way to go, if you didn't want the expense of hauling a car and camper like we did.

We began in Ketchikan where HUGE cruise ships dock. These ships carry thousands of people and during peak season bring over 10,000 people to Ketchikan at a time. It totally grossed me out. People get off the cruise ships and try to see the Ketchikan area in a few hours. Different strokes for different folks. Anyway, we passed by colorful fishing boats and float planes, in route to our wilderness experience. We enjoyed having a Naturalist's explain as we journeyed.

Along the
Eagle's NestEagle's NestEagle's Nest

This is an active Eagle's Nest near Point Alava. This is a favored spot for salmon fishing. In the 1980's fishermen would catch 100,000 plus for the season.
way we stopped to view an active bald eagle’s nest, a Tlingit pictograph, and New Eddystone Rock; an immense volcanic spire rising from the sea. One of the highlights was the exploration of Rudyerd Bay, an ice-carved masterpiece deep within the Monument. There were nesting seabirds, mists from waterfalls and 3,000-foot glacier-sculpted cliffs.

After our boat ride, we walked around Ketchikan for awhile. We totally enjoyed the SE Alaska Discovery Center, which has a extensive exhibits of wildlife, mining, Indian life, fishing, etc. The walk along Creek Street built on pilings above Ketchikan Creek. The wooden boardwalk was the red light district during the rowdier days when loggers and fisherman came to town looking for entertainment. The city closed the 20-some houses in 1953; and now they have been transformed into shops and galleries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

New Eddystone RoackNew Eddystone Roack
New Eddystone Roack

On August 9, 1793, while searching for the NW passage, George Vancouver sailed his ship Discovery up the Behm Canal with 100 men. In his journal entry he states: "we saw the remarkable rock resembling a ship under sail. I called it New Eddyston (rock)."
Rudyerd BayRudyerd Bay
Rudyerd Bay

One of the three fjords withing the Misty.
Dolly's HouseDolly's House
Dolly's House

Big Dolly arrived in Ketchican in 1914 at the age of 26 and charmed many until the houses closed. Her house has been restored into a museum to give tourists a glimpse into the past.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb