Signal Creek Campground


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
June 5th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Signal Creek CampgroundSignal Creek CampgroundSignal Creek Campground

We stayed in site #2. There was a pit toilet and a hand water pump. so we went without a shower for one week.
We spent one full week at Signal Creek Campground near Ketchican. This is a US forest campground next to Ward Lake which costs $5 per night. It is located in the Tongass National Forest, nearly 17 million acres in size and the largest National Forest in the US; and is the largest temperate rainforest in the world.

There is a 1.3 mile nature walk around the Lake, which Don was able to master towards the end of the week. Several times we tried to trout fish in the lake, but did not have any luck. We could see the beautiful fish, but they just didn't want to make it into our fry pan.

Blackie and the Black Bear Adventure:
In June, Alaska has 21 hours of daylight. So Don and I would wake up earlier than normal. Well one morning just before 5 am, I looked out the window and saw a black bear coming down the road. It entered our campground and sniffed around our camper; then disappeared into the woods. Shortly after, there was much excitement as our camping neighbor's dog (named "Blackie") chased the bear down the creek bank. Well Blackie bit the black bear in
Ward LakeWard LakeWard Lake

Ward Lake was a few steps away from our camp site.
the butt, which angered the bear considerable. Withing seconds the black bear turned around; stood up on his two hind legs and charged Blackie while growling. Blackie's owners, Jim and Gerry, began making alot of noise in hopes of chasing off the bear. Bears can run really FAST. Jim shot once from his pistal into the trees. The shot was really loud; and startled the bear so much he climbed a hemlock tree right before our eyes. Eventually Blackie returned to his camp, but the bear persisted on trying to retrieve something from our neighbors. The bear proceeded down the tree and into the neighbors camp, where he bit into a small cooler and enjoyed a small container of cream cheese. That bear was determined to get at that snack no matter what obstacle put before him. Shortly after the bear disappeared down the creek bed.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb