Welcome to Ketchikan, Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
June 27th 2007
Published: June 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Ketchikan at 7:00 A.M. and had an early breakfast to be ready to disembark for our tour of Ketchikan. Ketchikan snakes for several miles along the southwestern shore of Revillagifedo Island, facing Tongass Narrows. With 14,000 inhabitants, this fourth largest community is known as"Alaska's First City" because it is the first town travelers reach when ferrying north. After having our pictures taken at the gangway with bald eagle and Ketchikan's fisherlady we boarded our tour bus. Driving through the city we saw the Creek Street Historic District (notorious red-light district from1902 to 1954), the salmon cannery, and typical homes of the loggers and other business people of Ketchikan. Then we went to Totem Bight State Park and our guide showed us many totem poles and the reconstructed Clan House. Each totem pole tells a story and our guide interpreted many of them for us. Facinating history and stories. Then we returned to the dock area for some shopping and reboarded the ship for lunch and our 12:30 P.M. departure.

In the afternoon Scott and I went to our third cruise crafts session and had a good time figuring out the crosstitch pattern for an anchor and a ship design. Then it was time to dress for our second formal night at dinner. The menu was "serf 'n' turf" topped off by Baked Alaska and was delicious!The Canadian Sunset was beautiful from our verandah! After SHOWTIME with the Amsterdam Singers and Dancers we fell into bed for a good sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



11th July 2007

Tuesday
Still working on the craft project. Have you finished yours? I liked the craft projects.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb