Farewell Ruby Grace


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
March 4th 2011
Published: March 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

By Melisse.

Ruby Grace was not of flesh, blood and bone, but she was an integral member of our family. After a long and thorough online search we came across her one day. Her photos and description glowed through cyberspace in our eyes. We took the leap and bought two one-way tickets to Philadelphia, trusting that she would be who we hoped she was. And she was. On June 19, 2009 we took her into our family and named her Ruby Grace, for her beautiful shiny color (and after a lovely girl of the same name, daughter of a dear friend in California). Together we rode away across the country, heading back to St. Louis. Ruby was now our new little movable home in which Dave and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on our very first night together in an Ohio, Walmart parking lot.

Ruby Grace was a key puzzle piece in the creation of our new life. One we had decided would be vital in aiding our emotional recovery from the grave loss of the life we had grown to know and love in St. Louis when Dave lost his job. We packed up and rented out our wonderful St. Louis home, bid farewell to our incredible friends and family and headed west.

For one year, Dave, Quito, Ruby and I traveled and explored the western USA, It was a life all Westfalias dream of, and many people, too. Ruby was strong and sure, healthy and dependable. Now THAT, as anyone who's known Westfalias knows, is a VERY RARE INDIVIDUAL. She cared for us, she housed us, she carried us from place to place and we made sure her needs were met all along the way. Eventually we traveled all the way up through a glorious, autumn-colored British Columbia to the verrrrry end of the road in Alaska. Together we set up a new life in Homer.

Homer is a small town and our arrival was noticed by the fine folks who've decided to call this place home. Ruby Grace became an integral part of the community as have we. Despite her perpetual coat of dust, her ruby red skin and boxy shape caught people's eye until February 1, 2011. On that fateful day her life, and all our future dreams with her, came to an end. It was a snowy, slippery day. I turned left, lost traction to cross the lane, and a most unfortunate oncoming car slammed hard into us. Both humans walked away from the crash, which is of course most fortunate, but neither car survived to cruise the roads another day.

I've spent the month of February 2011 dealing with huge regrets, and feelings of loss and speaking daily to our friends at Allstate. As their ad says, we have been in good hands. Thank you to the many folks on their team who've helped us in this traumatic time. And huge thanks too, to Dave and friends who have supported me as I've been processing this and other big and difficult life journeys that have converged at this time.

May you rest in peace, Ruby Grace. May your rare and valuable parts and pieces live on in the lives of many other Westfalias, giving joy and mobility to those who's spirit, sense of adventure and curiosity are best satisfied by exploring and traveling the roads that twist and turn into remote and beautiful places.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Kofa, ArizonaKofa, Arizona
Kofa, Arizona

Quito riding shotgun, her favorite spot to take it all in.


4th March 2011

So Long
That was very well said, Melisse. She really provided a wonderful sense of home and security, didn't she? I'm sure she was glad to be on an adventure, too. Hope all is well with you guys! Woof!
4th March 2011

Farewell
Melisse, You and Dave have obliviously had some great memories courteous of Ruby Grace. Every time I speak with you or Dave and hear your stories of travel I am instantly jealous. I am sorry we couldn’t help put Ruby Grace back together, but she lives on through your sharing. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Even though I never met her, I somehow feel connected to Ruby Grace. Matt Stark
5th March 2011

Adios
Nice tribute! Hope you feel better now....xoxo.
7th March 2011

Vital statistics
Hi - Sorry to hear about the accident. While not a Westfalia we had our own conversion van that we loved dearly for many years - it was a 1975 Ford van that Dave's Uncle Andy turned into a camper. A company installed a pop top but the rest was 100% designed and built by Uncle Andy. The van was used to go south to Florida, west to Las Vegas and all over Michigan. We had some good times on those trips and were sorry when we had to send it off to another home so we understand. Cousin Susan
7th March 2011

RIP
Yep, that was a lovely written and visual tribute and memorial for her.....man, isn't letting go the hardest thing to do.... I guess that's what funerals are for....a point in which to reference and refer to our grief.....these machines which carry us to our dreams.... keep dreaming my dear friends....love you all!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb